20 VS 28 GAUGE

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 270 Petload, Dec 30, 2016.

1. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Designer, thank you for your input. All comments welcome. Because of what you have said, along with others, I am leaning in favor of the 28 but I still want "lots" of input.

ms6852, thank you for your comment. All are welcome. I am at a point where I can take my time; no hurry. The more I "hear" the better my decision will be.

CHW2021, all input welcome; hadn't thought about tubes. Will throw that into the blender.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm gonna go against the grain here. If I didn't reload I'd say go with the 20. We'll in fact, let me back up a bit. If the majority of its life will be spent shooting trap and clays I'd suggest you go with a 12 unless there's some reason that is not an option. I'm thinking physical limitations. Now back to the show. Being that you'll be reloading my vote is for the 28. My experience is that while the 20 puts more shot in the air the 28 patterns much better and will put more shot on target. I have a 20 gauge BPS and my father has a 28 gauge Browning model 12. Both skeet guns but his hits the target with much more authority due to a more dense patterning of the shot. Now I haven't performed any scientific experiments yet and I'd suggest doing some reading on the subject but my vote is for the 28. Good luck and be sure to show us pics.

270 Petload likes this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am with you on this. I have 8 shotguns and they are all in 12 gauge. I shoot trap every weekend Almost all the shooters at my club use a 12 gauge. Can I ask why you want a 20 or 28 gauge?

joe45c, Broot and tedwitt like this.
  4. 270 Petload

Firpo, thank you for your comments. (1) The 12 gauge is no longer the right shotgun for an 80 year old fart; recoil from a 12 gauge is a definite factor. (2) Your quote, "My experience is that while the 20 puts more shot in the air the 28 patterns much better and will put more shot on target". You are not the first to say this about the 28 gauge. I expect I will hear that from others, including some well know outdoors writers whose work I have read. (3) More and more I am leaning toward the 28 but I am not in a hurry and want to hear what others have to say. (4) When I get the shotgun about the end of January I will make it a point to post it and 1 directly for you.

Broot likes this.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

Of the 2, 20 for sure.

joe45c and 270 Petload like this.
  6. 270 Petload

sound guy, how about telling me why the 20.

7. CHW2021

CHW2021 Well-Known Member

Now that you said you are an 80 year old fart, I have a little more info to work on. The 28 would be a lighter shotgun and a lighter recoil that your experience (presumed) would allow you to shoot a bit more comfortably. If you have a 12 ga o/u you like the "Briley" tubes would allow a familiar gun to recoil less and swing as you are used to.
    If you look for a 28 ga. gun, look for a smaller frame gun. Have fun.

joe45c and 270 Petload like this.
  8. 270 Petload

CHW2021, the Browning 725 Sporting in 28 gauge is looking more and more like the ONE.

joe45c and Broot like this.
  9. gvw3

My son has a Remington 1100 competition trap gun in 12 gauge and he says it has almost no recoil at all. The browning 725 is a fine shotgun. I am just afraid you won't be happy with the sub gauges.

Do what you need to do to stay in the game. I hope I can still shoot my 12's when I hit 80. We have a guy in my club that turned 90 this year and he is still a pretty good shooter.

joe45c, 270 Petload and Broot like this.
  10. 270 Petload

gvw3, when a person lives an active life, aches and pains become items with which one must deal. A left shoulder problem may keep me from returning to shooting at moving targets. Surgery may have to be considered. I have been hefting 12's and 20's and 28's and my left shoulder feels the difference in weight. I am certain that a solution can be found even if surgery is necessary. I intent to do whatever is necessary, without going bonkers, in pursuit of the sport I hope to enjoy for as long as I can. Thank you for your comment about the R1100.

Broot, joe45c and gvw3 like this.
  11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

270petload, i'm sure you will be happy with a 28ga. I have never shot one but read that others really love the ga. As far as recoil goes like gvw3 said in post 24, a semi auto 12 gauge like the Rem 1100 with light loads recoil is hardly noticed. My 20ga o/u feels to me like it has more recoil than the 1100. The semi action just soaks up recoil better. But yes like you say the weight of the gun may be more than what your shoulder can handle for a shooting event. Semi's are for the most part heavier than o/uers. Good luck on your choice. Post some pics.

Broot and 270 Petload like this.
  12. 270 Petload

joe45c, thank you for your comments about my conundrum. All comments are welcome and will be considered. I see you took notice of what was said by gvw3. I have heard that before about the R1100 and by more than one person. I may try a R1100 if I can find one to rent; I WILL NOT BORROW. Old school, never borrow - never lend. If my doctor suggests surgery after the 8 weeks of therapy that I am now experiencing I will certainly go that route. One of the nice things about living in San Antonio is that this is a Mecca of Medicine and we have lots of really good surgeons. I will push forward and doggedly find a way to reach my goal. Sure enjoy getting the support I am getting from TFF and guys like you. May your 2017 be the best. I will post photos of my choice when I get it which should be within the next 60 days.

Broot and joe45c like this.
  13. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I must respectfully disagree about the .410. I have Never had a problem finding shells and they are usually cheaper than my 12 gauge shells.

14. gvw3

Here is the one my son has.
    upload_2016-12-31_9-28-18.png
    https://www.remington.com/shotguns/autoloading/model-1100/model-1100-competition-synthetic

One of the members of our team in a trap league we are in had back problems and just had a heart attack. My son let him use this last season so he could still shoot.

If we didn't live so far apart we would bring it over and let you give it a try. My son learned about the Remington 1100's by Carver at a shotgun meet about 5 years ago. I don't think helping a friend is the same as lending or borrowing.

If it wasn't for Carver letting him try his 1100 my son would have never known about them. He got his 1st 100 straight in trap with this shotgun.

UncleFudd, joe45c and 270 Petload like this.
  15. 270 Petload

gvw3, thank you for your info about the R1100. Am reading about it right now so I will have more reading to do. There is a B I G shooting range close to me. It is the NSSF. Local, state, regional and world competitions are held there. Will see if they have an 1100 that I can rent.

gvw3 likes this.