20 VS 28 GAUGE

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 270 Petload, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Pics when you get it.

2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto

3. Sandman

Sandman Member

I have both, and I love them both. That being said, if it is going to be your only shotgun, I would go with the 20. The 28 is great for doves, etc. and great for shooting skeet, but ammo can be hard to find, with a very limited selection. Also, with the 20 you can get 3" mags and use it for duck and goose hunting (don't laugh, I have killed a WHOLE lot of geese with my 20). The 28 will limit you to upland birds and skeet / trap (although I do occasionally duck hunt with mine).

270 Petload and joe45c like this.
  4. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Sandman, thank you for your thoughts on the 20 vs 28. Right now I am leaning in favor of the 28 and that is because I can be very happy shooting doves (south Texas) and quail. Finding ammo here is not a problem; although more expensive as has been pointed out. Because of the expense of hunting in Texas I suppose most of my shooting will be at clay birds and that will be Trap. Never did like Skeet; it's toooooo regimented for me. Got spoiled living in Colorado for 34 years. I could hunt New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, ND, SD and Nebraska. In Texas hunting is very expensive. My final decision has not been taken but that is where I am right now.

5. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just get both. You know you want to. ;)

6. 270 Petload

270 Petload Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now that is what is called Sage Advice.