5 worst carry pistols...

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by greggs, May 2, 2016.

1. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I can't tell if that's a club or a cigarette lighter!

2. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I was at the LGS yesterday and considered picking up a Hi Point to keep in my truck. Cheap, ugly and reliable.

carver and greggs like this.

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

The first hand gun I ever bought was the new model Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag, with the 7 1/2" barrel. I carried that pistol with me every where I went, once I learned to shoot it. I eventually scoped it for deer hunting. I actually had to pull it twice during the time I carried it. And believe it or not, the second time was on an off duty police officer!
    upload_2016-5-3_8-19-1.png

4. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Before you shell out for the Hi-Point, take a magnet with you to test it. I can't verify if it's true or not, I don't have one and never will but, I read that the slides are not made out of steel. They are made from a zinc alloy called zamac. They aren't locked breech, they're strictly blow-back operated. Inferior materials, blow back operation on calibers that absolutely should have a locked breech, these are something I'd avoid like the plague.

carver and greggs like this.
  5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

OK you can't throw that out there and not finish the story......:eek:

accident, greggs and jedwil like this.
  6. carver

Not much to it really, and I've told it here before, but the short story is that an off duty cop pistol whipped his girlfriend. She got away from him and ran for help. That help was me at the all night gas station where I worked. She wanted me to call her a cab, which I did. Then Mr. Macho showed up to beat her some more. I had other ideas, and changed his mind. Held him at gun point until sober on duty cops showed up.

7. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Silas, you forgot Heavy, and NO resale value.

greggs and carver like this.
  8. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Well unless you overpay about the most you can lose on a Hi Point pistol is about $150:D

9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

I bought a sig p230 back when I got divorced in the mid 90's. Years later my friend saw it and wanted one, couldn't find one.. so he got a bersa thunder. ( sig changed the 230 to a 232 by the way... paint job change mostly. :) )

Anyway.. he loves his. it has had a decocker spring problem that was easy to correct, but otherwise fine.

I'm not a fan of the LOOK of a high point though back when I was more poor than I am now, years back.. I did get a haskel 45 and that's essentially a 'antique' high point. ;)

They can be used as a hand weapon when empty. ( I like the magazine of the haskel way better than the high point, that looks like it has a rubber DOOR STOP as part of the bottom of the magazine )

We both bought the carbines when they first came out. I a 45, he a 9mm.

have never had a days problem out of them.

they are ugly.. but work.

10. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

These were $139,00 for either the 9mm or .45 ACP.

TyeDye1971, carver and greggs like this.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Buy both.

TyeDye1971, carver and greggs like this.
  12. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

As others have stated those are one man's opinion. I carry a Bersa Thunder fairly regularly and have found it both accurate and reliable.

A lot of "experts" bad mouth single actions for carry guns. As far as I'm concerned that opinion exhibits a decided lack of experience with them. For the better part of 20 years I fired at least 100 rounds a week, some weeks and weekends over 500 rounds, using mostly 5 1/2 in. barreled single actions, Colt, Ruger, Freedom Arms and Colt clones in 32-20, 38 Spl., 44 Spl. and 45 Colt. 7 1/2 in. was the length of choice for long range work. It's been a few years since I worked that much with SA's but on occasion I still grab my old 3rd Gen. Model P in 45 Colt. In 45 Colt it's fairly light, fast from the holster, I am "accurate enough" with it, especially at what are considered gunfighting distances and no one in their right mind doubts the take down authority of 255 grs. of bullet at 850 fps. I do not feel "undergunned". It does take time and the expenditure of ammo to reach that level of comfort with a SA but it can be done.

TyeDye1971, Alaska444 and carver like this.
  13. carver

This is an old video. Cisco has broke 6 balloons in under 1 second.

14. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

LMAO!!!!

15. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

To say nothing of what the late Bob Munden was capable of along with several others from the past and of today. Granted they were/are real experts with the SA but the same can be said of others with DA revolvers and semi-auto handguns. I'd rather have a SA as nothing.

carver likes this.