Christmas or Xmas?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by rhmc24, Dec 23, 2016.

1. rhmc24

rhmc24 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Ardmore, OK
    I was offended when I saw Xmas, using an X for abbreviation. While some people probably do use it that way, but it ain't necessarily so ---- the X can be St. Andrew's cross, dating since Biblical times.

I was turned on to that piece of info at a gun show; someone had a beautiful old gun with a big X in its engraved design on the barrel with a foreign inscription. People commented on it's disrespect, etc. Caused me to investigate & put it on my 'never to old to learn list' ----->

jedwil likes this.
  2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

The people who I know that have used "X mas" were doing it as an abbreviation
    I don't care for it either

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    X is the Greek letter Chi, which has been used for "Christ" almost since the time of Christ.

Like so many things that seem to offend these days, getting upset by it has only started in the last fifty years or so.

It would be like getting offended at that little line-drawing of a fish, which had also meant "Christ" for 2000 years.

"Don't do that! Jesus wasn't a fish!!"

crystalphoto, rhmc24, carver and 2 others like this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Alpo is right, as is usually the case. When I was young....very young as in a teen, it offended me until I learned what it meant. Haven't been offended since.

BlackEagle, crystalphoto and rhmc24 like this.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Indiana
    Alpo has got it.

X is used to indicate Christ outside the context of Christmas, too. In some seminaries--where everyone has learned Greek--it's rare to see "Christ" spelled out. No disrespect is meant, and when you read it, you're not supposed to say "X"; you just say Christ.

rhmc24 and joe45c like this.
  6. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Crosses were used as symbols of the Babylonian Sun-god, long before Christ, or the first church! I would like to note that King Constantine was a Sun-god worshipper. From this point you can do your own research. The cross is a curse. And I feel that anyone using it to denote Christmas is simply removing Christ from the "Holidays", intentional or not.

One Shot, ral357 and rhmc24 like this.
  7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    I'll always spell it out loud and clear CHRISTmas. Historical context noted, at this point in history many use the X for three reasons lazy, insult or trying to remove Christ from the picture altogether.

8. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Northern California
    It's "CHRISTMAS" and Jesus IS the reason for the season. Merry Christmas!!;)

9. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Colorado
    I understand all the arguments for using X and at one time it may have been valid. From my experience, the people who use Xmas have no clue about the historical justification. They use it now to remove Christ from Christmas. Very few people I know use the Greek language on a daily basis. For me, it's Merry Christmas!

jbmid1, BlackEagle, Grizzley1 and 3 others like this.
  10. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    One could look at those who use "Xmas" as a means of expediency or insult as putting Christ in Christmas. That is that they are espousing what they intended to deride....:D For instance, if someone said or wrote to you "Merry Xmas" a good reply would be "thank you and a Merry Christmas to you also"! Then, if said person attempted to explain that they didn't mean "Christmas" one would have an opportunity to explain the real meaning of "Xmas" and perhaps a chance to tell them about Christ. 'Course we can do that if they don't attempt to explain Christ away.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  11. drec

drec Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Pacific NW
    This is the way that I was taught as well.

Merry Christmas!

jbmid1, rhmc24, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.
  12. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member

http://blog.dictionary.com/xmas-christogram/

Excerpt-

Another source-
    http://www.whychristmas.com/customs/christmas_or_xmas.shtml

-

CampingJosh, rhmc24 and BlackEagle like this.
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    UK
    I don't have a whole lot to add.

My feeling is that a lot of people would rather not acknowledge Jesus Christ, so, instead of "Season's Greetings" they use the X so they don't have to say "Christ".

And as said, for some it's pure laziness or expediency. One letter is easier to write/type than six.

My mission in life is to tell people about Jesus Christ, so I won't miss a chance to use Christ instead of the abbreviation "X".

BTW, the Ichthus (fish) was an acronym for "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Saviour" and no doubt used as a kind of code when it was not just politically incorrect to be a Christian, but was reason for arrest, torture, and death.

We are not at a time yet, where we need to disguise our relationship with God, so rather than using the shortcut "X", let's use the full-blown Christ.

That's my idea on the subject.