The Firearms Forum banner

Commander or Government model?

7K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  ca survivor 
#1 ·
I am so close to purchasing my first 1911. Here's my question. Which length do y'all prefer?

#9 ·
As with George, I have one "Commander-size" (actually a Kimber Pro, which is four inch instead of four and a quarter) and one "Officer's-size".

The rest are Government-size.

The problem I have with the Officer's is the short grip. Makes it more concealable but (to me) less shootable.

But maybe your hand/arm/wrist will like another size better.

I had Single Action Armys in 3 1/2, 4 3/4, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. I sold the 4 3/4s, because they did not balance right in MY hand. The 5 1/2s, a measly 3/4" longer, is PERFECT for me.

What's that mean? Means it don't matter which size I like, or Carver likes, or George likes. Get the one that fits YOU.

If at all possible, try all the sizes first. If I had actually shot a 4 3/4 Single Action, or an Officer's Model, before purchasing, I would not have bought them.

#10 ·
Being 6'3" and 210lbs. carrying a full sized 1911A1 concealed presented no problem at all, and I did so for 30+ years before retiring. Really appreciated that little bit of extra weight up front along with the slightly longer sighting radius. But that's just me - you should examine all the options and go with what feels most natural and comfortable to you.

#11 ·
I own both sizes and carry both...not at the same time though, but I'm sure I could disarm the perps when they would see my pants go down from the weight of the 1911's and revealing my true identity because they saw my superman undies.

#12 ·
I have a Ruger CMD model. I love the gun. Its small enough to conceal in the winter with a jacket. I don't carry it in the summer. It is a little heavy but with a good belt you can carry it. I still want a full size but will not carry it..

#15 ·
I also have both. My Kimber Pro Carry II HD is on my permit. I probably prefer to shoot the full sized ones a bit, but the 4" Pro Carry shoots great and I don't notice a huge difference in recoil, but mine is a steel frame not an alloy. I have shot several different lighter weight models, IMO weight is the big factor in the recoil increase not barrel length.

#18 ·
Who makes a six-inch? I thought the "long slide" fad was long dead.

#21 ·
I've got a Sig C3 which is a 4.2" barrel with a 5.7" sight radius. Aluminum alloy frame with a stainless slide. If I could change something about it I would really rather have a little more weight. All steel would help. Fairly sharp recoil. I retro fitted back to the original 1911 series trigger. Adjustable take-up and a fairly short reset with a very smooth easy trigger pull. Sometimes a little too easy. If I'm not paying attention and relax too much the recoil can cause a double fire. Embarrassing even though everyone around me thinks I did it on purpose. If I pay attention and don't allow myself to get relaxed or too tired it's by far the most accurate and fun to shoot gun I own. Very consistent groups and it pretty much always hits exactly where I aim it. I intended to carry it and may still do so in the winter but at least for the summer I carry a Walther 9mm. I love it never would never trade, but the next 1911 I buy will be full size and all steel.
Gun Product Brown Firearm Trigger

#26 ·
Okay, I've decided. I was originally looking at the RIA government model with the novak style sights. I've changed my mind and I am going to place an order for a Citadel 1911 full size. It also comes with the novak style sights but it comes with 2 mags and it's a little less expensive and they're both made by the same company.

#41 ·
Hey howln, I just now saw this post. That pic on the grip looks awfully familiar. lol
Illustration Black-and-white

Well, turnabout's fair play. I DID steal your avatar for a little bit when I first joined up. :D

Reactions: howlnmad
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.