Dumb things with a gun ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by PRR1957, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Texas
    When I was in the Navy, a friend and I used to shoot sticks out of each others hand.

I shot a 45ACP at a stump and it came back and the same friend in the chest, Thump. I still have the bullet.
    Same friend shot the same stump and the bullet came back and hit him in the chest.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

You deserved it. Lizard never did anything to you, and not enough meat there to eat.

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    peru,ny
    Must have been some type of evil petrified wood.;)

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Years ago, my father shot a 45 cal round ball out of one of those Philadelphia derringers at a tree and the ball came back and hit him right below the knee. Didn't break skin but he knew he'd been shot!:D

5. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Back in high school I bought a '66 Mustang that had a "crease" on the edge of the top over the passenger door. It was put there by the previous owner using the top of the car as a rifle rest and not aiming high enough.

6. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Amarillo, TX
    I guess confession is good for the soul...about a year back, came back from the range, dropped the magazine on all the autoloaders, and just before putting my P.I. Commander in the safe, I pulled the trigger....big noise, red face, lots of "told ya" from the wife. No hole in the wall, but just above the quarter round there is a half inch hole...

7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sitka, Alaska
    Back in the late '60s I made the mistake of rolling up my jacket and handing it to a co-worker so he could use it as an improvised rest while test firing a repaired rifle. As he snaps off about half a dozen rapid shots the rifle recoils, rolls backwards and downwards on my jacket, and punches a bunch of holes in it. A bit later my late wife found the jacket (no idea why I kept it), and holding it up to the light she eyes the multiple punctures and gives me her puzzled puppy look. I didn't feel like explaining so in my best W.C. Fields imitation I said "MOTHS M'DEAR, GIANT MOTHS!". I don't think the dear girl believed me. :)

Broot, TyeDye1971, Kweeksdraw and 9 others like this.
  8. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Berkley, Michigan
    I am apprehensive of telling this one, but here gos.

Back in 1978 American Eagle open a new store in a mall near me and I heard they sold guns so I went in to check them out. I walked out with two new Ruger 10-22's on sale for $69.00 each with two Bushnell 4X scopes, mounts and a bunch of 22LR ammo. Took them home, slicked up the triggers, cleaned and lubed them up and mounted the scopes and then went to my brothers house and gave him one of them. He called his sister in law to see if we could come over to shoot are new guns. After several hundred rounds we packed up and stopped in to say high to his sister in law and had a few beers, then left to go home to clean are new guns. We stopped to get some more beer and before we started to clean are guns we drank a few more beers. I picked up my gun, dropped the mag, cycled the bolt several times but didn't look at the chamber and assumed it was empty. I decided to dry fire it at a singe on the door of a closed restaurant about 200 feet across the street from my brothers back yard. Took careful aim and squeezed the trigger and you can figure out what came next. I immediately called the police so as to do the right thing and went across the street to wait for the police to show up. When the officer looked at the bullet hole placement and asked if that is where I was aiming I sheepishly said yes. He then asked again where it was that shot came from and then said "Good shot". Took my info, but didn't write a report and made me promise to contact the restaurant owner which I did that following Monday. The owner was not pleased but thanked me for my honesty and I made arrangements for the glass to replaced that day. As a side note. The bullet firmly stuck its self into the wood paneling in the foyer.

Years later I stopped in the have lunch at that same restaurant, and in the wood paneling was that bullet still stuck in the wall. The owner recognized me and said, "Hay dead eye, shot any restaurants lately ?"

The good thing that came out of that was I gave up drinking right after that and haven't touched alcohol since I liked shooting so much that I never wanted to have something like that to happen again. 41 years with out a drink now and I do not miss it.

Broot, vassago, Kweeksdraw and 8 others like this.
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2012
    NW Ohio
    In addition to my other posts, this happened back when I was old enough to know better. I had been groundhog hunting with a Winchester M94 .22 Mag. When I got back home I emptied the mag tube and worked the lever once to make sure (??) it was cleared, and nothing came out so I assumed it was unloaded. I went upstairs to put the gun away and noticed it was still cocked. Instead of lowering the hammer I pulled the trigger on an "empty gun", wrong. The sound of a .22 Mag unexpectedly going off in a 10x14 room was deafening. My ears were ringing, and when I went downstairs to let the people down there know I hadn't shot myself, they said they never even heard it.

10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    I've done that, sort of. I shot a penny sitting on a stump, and the penny acted like a spring and sprang the bullet back at me; it also hit me in the chest.

I have the bullet and the penny!

pennybullet.jpg

Broot, Kweeksdraw, joe45c and 6 others like this.
  11. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Nw oregon
    Abut twelve years ago my buday came out of marine core boot and was home on leave. I went camping with him and his family and after a full day of drinking the adults decided to take over the kids bb guns and go have a war in the woods. After dark. My buddy's little brother 12 or 13 years old at the time couldn't quite grasp the meaning of stay in camp and ended up with a bb lodged dead center in his upper lip. His mom popped it out like a zit and that we all, dad and uncles included, got an earfull.

carver, bosun, Kweeksdraw and 2 others like this.
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Chicago IL Area
    Back in the 1970's my brother in law and I were running a phone line to a room in my house. We needed a hole drilled into a 2x4 in a closet. No drill bits so I grabbed my 22 Ruger Blackhawk and shot a hole through it. Worked great.

My brother in law's little brother was there at the time and he still talks about it.

13. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Michigan
    That's funny!!

14. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Michigan
    My first AR platform was an AR-10 and I was at the range somehow I had a misfire so I keep the gun on the bench with bipod legs down. I was looking over the gun trying to clear and all of a sudden it slam fired. I thank god for safe practices of keeping the muzzle down range. It scared the shoot outta me, and still not really sure what happened that day. Good news is I know the AR-15 platform a lot better today.

carver, gvw3, Kweeksdraw and 2 others like this.
  15. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    peru,ny
    Wow you came close to shooting your eye out!:rolleyes: