Frog Lube

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JLA, Jan 13, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking about. What I am getting is that after using froglube, you have to use a solvent to get it off, it that correct?

If you have to get it off, why even use the stuff? Get yourself some Silver Bullet Gun Oil and just leave it on!!

2. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When the son gets finished with his shooting drills. There is dirt, mud, rain, etc everywhere on the outside. It's just easier to do a complete strip and re-apply of the frog lube. When I go shooting with it, I just wipe it off and use a little liquid froglube clp for touch up (excluding the barrel which I clean like any other barrel). Looking for something cheaper but have not used 70% rubbing alcohol. Didn't want to just see what happened and create another mess.

3. drymag

Spoke to frog lube folks and they said 70% rubbing alcohol should work fine followed by the FL.

4. Clay Stodieck

Clay Stodieck New Member

I see the original post is from 2012. How is the Froglube holding up in long term storage? I just cleaned up a Mauser from WWII and the old motor oil had oxidized and rust got underneath the goo that was left.

5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Broot and goofy like this.
  6. drymag

On an AR-15 that delevlps heat to make it work. It is great. But on an AR-10 I wouldn't. Not much of a gage comparison.

To remove frog lube: After a shooting while the bolt assy is still warm (not hot), tear it apart and submerge it in Hoppes #9 for a couple days. Wipe it all off. Clean w/ 70% rubbing alcohol. Wipe it off good. Hit it with heat gun to see if leaching occurs, and repeat until no further leaching.

7. Old Army Dog

Old Army Dog New Member

I am very happy with Frog Lube and use it for all my firearms. I also use it in the shop on all my steel tools. My hand sweat will rust stainless so I tried Frog Lube on my table saw top and was amazed at the protection. No rust! Check out Frog Lube on YouTube, lots of good info there on use and testing.

8. vegas girl

vegas girl Member

Frog Lube is all I use. I love it

9. Restomod

Restomod New Member

OK I'm new to both SBGO & Frog Lube.
    What are the pro's & con's of each, every product has pro's and con's.
    I went to the SBGO site and all it seemed to discuss was the % pig fat.
    Sorry that doesn't mean anything to me.
    As for smell, I can't imagine anything as strong as Hoppe's #9. (However, I heard that there is a cologne that mimics it)

I am looking for the best cleaner & best lubricant.
    Yes, cost is a consideration, but you have to also consider what it is protecting and how much it would cost to repair/replace or even if could be replaced.
    I shoot everything from .22 to 50 cal, black powder to full auto.
    I don't mind using different lubricants for different types of firearms, so if there is something better for bolt action sniper rifles, full autos or pistols - I'm open to consider several options.

Right now I mainly use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and ultrasonic for cleaners and CLP for lube and/or Hornady One Shot Dry Lube. The exception is for Garands and Thompsons and I use white lithium grease on the contact surfaces.

From what I read, I don't think Frog Lube should be used around brass, so I wouldn't use it around some black powder pistols and rifles, but what about synthetic/plastics like on AR's.
    I would like to know if SBGO is just pig fat hype or if it really does work.
    Personal experience is good and I think it is worthwhile, but some people consider a 20 rd box a lot of ammo and others consider 500+ rds a good days shooting.
    The true test of a lubricant is not what it does after 1 or 2 rds, but what is it doing to provide lubrication after 50 rds, 100 rds or 500 rds.

Anybody know of any technical info about either Frog Lube or SBGO.
    How long it lasts, # of cycles and what temp it can stand.

Thanks in advance.

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you read post #65, about 4 posts above yours, you will see a link to a test that was done with SBGO.