Glock question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Alpo, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    You have a right profile view of a full-size Glock.

Can you tell which one it is?

TV show. They have a picture of a guy holding a gun. Cops say, "It's a 45 caliber Glock".

Now, if it was a 1911, I could tell that, but I couldn't say if it was a 45 or a 9 or a 40 or whatever. Not from a side view.

Can you with a Block?

2. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    The caliber designation (9x19) is on the left hand side of my 19... maybe the guy has X-Ray vision?

dbcooper likes this.

3. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tv show and guns...assume they get the details wrong.

4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can tell the caliber of a full size Glock unless like Crystal said, you can read the stamp on barrel through the ejection port

howlnmad and crystalphoto like this.
  5. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

May 28, 2016
    Ames, IA
    Also Hollywood.

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    So - when the tv cop says, "That man was carrying a GI 45 automatic", I can be absolutely sure there is no such thing as a "GI 45 automatic", because it's television, and everything they say about guns is wrong?

And in the movies, when Gene Autry is "totin' his old 44" I can be damn sure that, whatever he actually had, it wasn't a 44, because that's Hollywood, and they never get it right?

Sam Spade could not take a Colt 25 away from Joel Cairo, or a pair of 1911s away from Wilbur, because those guns never existed - they invented them for the movie?

7. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

May 28, 2016
    Ames, IA
    Don't be so defensive, Alpo.

TV and movies can be counted on to get most details, not just firearms wrong. That is reason enough for me to not bother watching TV cop shows or most anything that came out of Hollywood.

What is a GI 45 automatic?

When Gene Autry sang that, he actually meant his old .44, which came from Gene Autry, not Hollywood.

As far as I know, the Colt 25 could be a model 25, and I supposed that could be correct, but I don't know for sure. And the pair of 1911s do exist, which proves one thing; that Hollywood does occasionally get the details correct.

dbcooper likes this.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    I wrote a response, but then I read it, thought about it, and deleated it all.

Not worth it.

9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Harriman, Tn
    To me, a GI 45 is a 1911.

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  10. Bama1022

Bama1022 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Huntsville , AL
    In an old James Bond movie was said lady couldn't shoot a Revolver because the Safety was on

Big Mak and Sugarfoot like this.
  11. ShootistPRS

ShootistPRS Well-Known Member

I've only seen two revolvers that had safeties. They do exist.

12. BillM

BillM Active Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Amity Orygun
    I suppose that if someone were thoroughly familiar with Glocks, looking at one
    from the right side and IDing it as a 45 might be possible. The 9mm and 40 are
    small frame, and the 45 is a large frame. The only other caliber on the large frame
    is 10mm---but they are a small percentage of large frames.

I do agree 100%----most TV shows and movies have no clue about guns.

13. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Oregon.
    My Heritage Arms Rough Rider has a safety. ;)

Ever watch "Hell on Wheels"? You'll se a lot of guns that didn't exist in the late 1860's, Bohannon's "Griswold" is a brass framed 1860 .44 Army. Griswold never made an army model, they are all .36 Navies and based on the 1851 Colt.

They also had Bohannon pegged for a crime because the body had a ball from a Confederate Griswold lodged in it's head. How on earth can you tell one .375 round ball from any other .375 round ball back in 1866 let alone what type of revolver said .375 round ball was fired from, especially when Bohannon's Griswold was a .44 Army that never existed in the first place?

14. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Unless the gun was being fired at them there is no way they could tell.
    Mike

crystalphoto likes this.
  15. ShootistPRS

ShootistPRS Well-Known Member

All they had to do was read the script... Too bad real life isn't like that.