Good Grief!!! FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by sharps4590, Feb 17, 2017 at 6:17 AM.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

For the last year I have had to load the 8.7 X 55R, which is just what I call the cartridge because that's its dimensions, by jumping through a bunch of hoops. I had to use a .363 bullet sizing die in my sizer/luber to neck size the cases and it was just a wee bit tight but workable. I never have found what that cartridge is actually called, neither has anyone else on 3 continents. It's for my old Schuetzen rifle. A year ago I ordered a custom set of dies from CH-4D for the cartridge. YESTERDAY they finally arrived!! Life is good again!!!!!:D.....Ya-Hoo!!!!!!!

2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Glad you received your dies.
    How long did it take from order to delivery?
    I keep putting off ordering a set of 8X58R dies. The idea of spending $140 US keeps me going back and forth " should I or shouldn't I "

dbcooper and firefighter1635 like this.

3. sharps4590

gr, I'm just about positive it was a little over a year to the month. I had acquired the rifle in late November of '15 so it was probably January of '16 before I had a definite handle on it. The total cost of mine, which were completely custom, unfortunately, was $111.00.

Your 8 X 58R, is yours the old Hungarian cartridge? Have I not seen dies for it for sale somewhere, other than custom? If one peruses the forums that cater to old rifles and cartridges it seems there's more than a few guys working with that cartridge right now.

firefighter1635 and grcsat like this.
  4. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

The 8X58R is Danish/Swedish
    I am always checking on different sites looking for these dies.
    The odd time I have found them , they want more money for used dies than for newly made custom dies. The last time I saw one on Flee-Bay there was a bidding war and I dropped out at $140. I think It finally sold at $155 which is way too much.
    I've been looking around for a while now and sence I'm in no great hurry to part with my hard earned cash , I will keep looking until I find them at a reasonable price.

firefighter1635 likes this.
  5. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Question. How did you neck size you case's with a luber/sizer?

firefighter1635 likes this.
  6. sharps4590

Oh my Don...lol!! It was an interesting....journey? I have an old Lyman/Ideal sizer/luber, one of the really old orange ones, pre 450 if you know the one I mean. I was sizing bullets, got to looking at that opening and thought hmm...I wonder if a 30-30 length case will fit in there. It did. Then I got to digging through all my dies and found that .363 die. I finished the bullets I was doing, pulled the die and installed the .363. Then I removed the top punch and watched through the hole until the primer pocket was as centered as I could make it. I had turned up the bullet stop as high as it would go which as it turned out was about perfect for the length of the re-sized neck for the bullet being used. I lubed a case and as Charlie Douglas would have said about the planting bugle, drove it home. Other than being a little undersize for the bullet it worked really good. Probably a .370 die would have been perfect....it just took forever swapping the sizer luber back and forth. Oh...I had to make a new....ejector pin because the one that ejects the bullet wouldn't work but, that was easy, just cut off a piece of 1/4 in. round stock to the right length. I don't know if it would have worked in my RCBS sizer/luber or the Lyman 450. I think not.

gr, CH-4D shows them for $88.00 American. Usually the listed dies Dave has in stock. He's had some really off the wall stuff in stock that I needed. 10.5 X 47R and 9 X 71 Peterlongo to name a couple. As far as I know he's only way behind on custom and semi-custom dies. I believe it would be worth a call.

http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list?page=16

If you'd rather e-mail, here's that contact info and below it the link to their home page.

http://www.ch4d.com/sales/contacts

http://www.ch4d.com/home

Their dies are as good as any out there and better than a couple I could name, like Hornady and Lee.

7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

You fellas that load those oddball cartridges are a unique breed. I find it fascinating, but waaaaay more trouble than I'm willing to go through:D.

dbcooper and joe45c like this.
  8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I gotta agree.

dbcooper and firefighter1635 like this.
  9. sharps4590

firefighter, joe, thank you! I've heard it put in a lot less flattering terms...lol!

It is a labor of love in a lot of instances. A love of history has its influence on me in pursuing those old cartridges. I like to think there's some quest for knowledge involved both in how to come up with a case and an accurate, adequate load contemporary to when the rifle/cartridge was extant. Hopefully the data and means to make the cartridges will live in posterity and if someone finds a similar cartridge they can find a way to load it and use it should they not be quite as OCD as me. Acquiring, studying and using those old cartridges....I remember how I responded when a friend asked why I chased after and worked on those old cartridges and rifle. He's a pretty good friend, I know him well and his shooting and loading disciplines so I had the luxury of being a bit of a smart aleck. I answered, "because you can't". He laughed and said "you got that right!!!" That isn't completely true and the better response might have been "because you won't".

My Dad always called himself a contrarian. He didn't want to follow the crowd, that is do what is popular. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree because I don't either. I have a son who is much the same so that part of our DNA lives at least one more generation. Take 3 of the most popular cartridges in America today, the 30-06, 308 and 223. There is so many guys shooting them today it is truly mind boggling. Why? Well geez...because they're excellent cartridges!!! They're also no better ballistically than approximately 900 other cartridges in their respective classes. They are more popular than any better than others. They also bore me to tears because there is so little left to actually learn about them, it's been done. So, I look for something out of the ordinary to learn about and, as mentioned previously, our work on that old stuff might help someone else.

Besides...when hunting or on a rare trip to a range when someone asks, "whatcha shootin' there buddy?" I love the look on their face when I tell them and their response is "whut, never heard of it?" Some are sincerely interested in learning, a conversation is started and often a friend made. Others go back to pulling a trigger and making noise, learning nothing of what preceded 1920 or 1900 and that's ok. They're enjoying themselves and like what they're doing and probably learning something about what they're shooting. So what if they have no interest in something that was obsolete before their grandfather was born. I have the same amount of interest in the AR platform or modern 9mm they're shooting.

Sorry for the length of the post....got a little carried away....:)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    Grizzley1 and slayer like this.