Great Alarm System Customer Service

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by drymag, Jul 17, 2014.

1. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2013
    I have a gun safe, but when traveling, they are only a inconvenience for thieves. Fortunately, I have an alarm system that gives me piece of mind http://shieldtechsecurity.com/ This company has once again provided great customer support. I bought my system for $280 a couple years ago. A year ago I bought some batteries from them to support their business. A week ago, I was changing out batteries on my remote alarm sensors when I discovered 3 of the new 36 where not at full power (tested with multi-meter before installation). They are .7vdc low. I sent them an email and they are sending me 3 new batteries. The battery cost between ebay and them is not much.
    -
    The alarm system will call me if I get an alarm. It can dial thru the normal house phone line, but I bought one of their GSM cellular dialer's so if my phone line is cut, I get the call since it dial like a cell phone. The time from alarm to call is about 5 seconds. I ended up buying smoke detectors and a couple glass break sensors. The thing I like most about it is the system uses FOB's like a car. I have signage so that is also a deterrent. My only recurring cost is buying batteries (about $40) every couple years. The batteries will last about 2-1/2 years, but I change them out a bit early for peace of mind.
    -
    You do have to program the sensors yourself which is a simple keypad entry for the type of sensor you want. Double back sticky to mount the sensor and you are done.
    -
    I live near a high risk neighborhood full of apartments that stretches about a mile long. When I come home and hit the FOB, the alarm chirp (inside the house so the neighborhood doesn't hear it) lets me know I don't have an uninvited guest inside. When I sleep at night, any sensor break gives me time to react so I don't wake up with some one already in the house. The small (about 5"X6"X1") main panel also displays the location of the open sensor. My wife has a "silent" emergency fob that is available to her as well. The house fob also can be used for audible siren.
    -
    At any rate, this is an inexpensive system that has proven itself for 2 years and no failures and a very helpful organization.

2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    florida
    no re-occuring cost on the cellular dialer???

3. Guts3d

Guts3d Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
  4. drymag

Aug 19, 2013
    I paid a $100 for 1000 minutes (mistake). Now I pay $10 every 3 months just to keep the sim card active. I set the inbound ring counter high so telemarketers don't eat up my minutes. The only time it dials out is on a system check once a month or two I do to ensure all works good. Once my phone rings and I hear the automated recording I hang up. So I lose a minute or two every three months. I was initially apprehensive due to the low cost of the system. But it has been flawless so far.

5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    florida
    so realistically it is about 40-50$ more a year due to cell phone costs.

cheaper than a monitored system

6. drymag

Aug 19, 2013
    I could use my existing landline so no cost, but if it got cut I'd lose the alert. Even if I put the outside house terminal in a hardened case, the pedestal for the area is in my easement and has super easy access. The system has a paid monitored number option that if notified, dials in and listens for human noises. I don't use it. All I need to do is see the number in my phone display to know something is up. The motion detectors have some sort of dog/cat size ignore feature if you want to use that feature. I don't have pets so don't use the option.