The Firearms Forum banner

how do you tell what year a gun was made

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hrf 
#1 ·
i have a single shot 12 gage it has ( BRIDGE GUN COMPANY ) stamped on the side i ant never heard of it . I bought it cause it looks old and i am trying to start a collection of old guns can someone explain to me how to determine the year it was made. thank you

#3 ·
As an answer to your broad question, there are several of ways to tell the age of a gun--some more precise than others.

If the gun has a serial number (which was not required prior to 1968) and there are good records available, then it's just a matter of looking it up. But that's not always the case.

Remington used a code stamped on the barrels. It'll tell you the month and year that the gun was made (assuming that the barrel hasn't been changed, of course).

Sometimes the best you can narrow it down to a range of years based on when the model was manufactured.

So maybe the best answer is that it's complicated.

#5 ·
As an answer to your broad question, there are several of ways to tell the age of a gun--some more precise than others.

If the gun has a serial number (which was not required prior to 1968) and there are good records available, then it's just a matter of looking it up. But that's not always the case.

Remington used a code stamped on the barrels. It'll tell you the month and year that the gun was made (assuming that the barrel hasn't been changed, of course).

Sometimes the best you can narrow it down to a range of years based on when the model was manufactured.

So maybe the best answer is that it's complicated.
how do i look up the serial numbers to deturmine the age is there a web site i can go on

#6 ·
You would have to search for it.
There are websites easily found by search for the big manufacturers like Colt and Sig and so forth.
But for Crescent no one may have the records. If someone had the records and posted them online somewhere a search may find it.
dc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.