How Often Do You Clean Your Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Firpo, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As I'm in the process of giving all my guns their annual cleaning (especially George's M1917 :p, inside joke) the thought crossed my mind to ask you folks about your cleaning schedules. I'll just say I have less than 40 guns and don't manage to get to shoot all of them regularly so every year I take them all out of the safe, give them a check and cleaning just to make sure all is well. Ten of them I touch with enough regularity I know they're good to go but the rest I think deserve a look at least annually. So, what do you guys do that own let's say more than 20 guns or have guns that you don't regularly shoot? I suspect, yea right :rolleyes:, there are a few here that have a few hundred guns and was just curious how often and how detailed a cleaning they all get?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

i pretty much clean my guns after each time use them. Had my henry .45 colt and winchester 63 out yesterday, cleaned as soon as they and ME warmed up. Like you say some guns don't get shot regularly, so they just get a wipe down with a oily cloth. They Keep me busy in my retirement.;)

flboots, drymag, Gottcha and 7 others like this.

3. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine get cleaned after every use, as well as when I just feel like cleaning something... There is no set schedule, though some get cleaned without use, a couple times per year. I am one of those that enjoy cleaning them.

flboots, drymag, BlackEagle and 6 others like this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You better clean that thing good!!

I do clean whatever I shoot pretty quickly after its range trip. I try to take all of mine to the range as least once a year so it they get a little exercise and a cleaning. There are a couple that I have not taken out in a while and to be honest, it is an effort on my part to take those out and clean them. I know I haven't shot (or cleaned) my Mausers in two or three years.

flboots, drymag, BlackEagle and 4 others like this.
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Always clean mine right after I finish shooting. Other than that I try to at least run an oily swab thru the bore and wipe down exposed steel at least twice a year. I'm embarrassed to admit that there are a few I haven't fired in a very long time - like my Garand, a '96 Krag, any of the '03 Springfields, the Winchester 'Carbine or the 1911A1. Been at least 10 years on those. But they get the same cleaning and oiling as the others.

6. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

What everyone else said.

7. Firpo

I kinda figured we all cleaned them after they were shot. I was more wondering about those guns that haven't been shot recently. Sounds like you all do about the same. Giving them a good wipe down and inspection every 6-12 months.

8. 2fish

2fish Well-Known Member

Mine varies, but as in my OCD post, when I clean them it is quite detailed. I've been off for a couple of weeks and there is currently nothing in my safe that is dirty, I shot falling plates last night.

That said, I clean my 3-gun shotgun twice a year (roughly 400 rounds), trap shotguns each fall, my 9mm 1911 every other month (roughly 800 rounds), WASR every other month (roughly 400 rounds), .22 rifles twice per year, everything else every time I use it.

drymag, firefighter1635 and joe45c like this.
  9. Bama1022

Bama1022 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After shooting my handguns and 10/22 are cleaned and wiped down with CLP or Hoppes 9/Rem Oil. I wipe down the Mags and after the 2nd or 3rd time used disassemble and clean

10. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I shoot 4 or 5 regularly and clean them when I deem it necessary, the rest of the safe queens do get oiled up once a year after New years.

Except for this one, I'm never cleaning it again.
    WIN_20161010_20_23_27_Pro.jpg

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

:D :D :D :D I know what you mean!!:p

12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Why not clean this one? Mine is about the same vintage and gets cleaned every time it's used. It IS a PITA to re-assemble (I've got one of about every other imaginable design - and that old Ruger is the worst to get to go back together).

13. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thread started by dbcooper in the 22 rimfire forum

[​IMG]
    ysacresWell-Known MemberSupporting Member
    Nov 11, 2001
    Wazzu WA
    O MY GOD.............All these years of reading the instructions over & over. :mad:

FOR SALE. A very nice Ruger MK II Target. Some scratches where the takedown lever was pried open with a screwdriver. and some file marks where the sneer thingy does not engage unless the pistol is up side down. and a ding on the barrel from being thrown across the room. :(
    I should also mention the gun needs cleaning and the vertical pin may be bent from trying to force it into battery. :confused:
    Comes with takedown instruction manual :p Free scope, and no shipping
    Wiseacres
    Ruger Dog RD
    Wazzu WA

14. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Like everyone else, I clean after use. However, the guns which haven't been in use I try to clean every 2-4 months (no regular schedule, though)

15. Firpo

Ah C'mon, it's not that bad. I have a Mark I that I've had since I was about 12. My father, USMC SSgt, who really didn't give me the option not to clean it after every outing so I guess I just got used to it's quirks. If you'd like to send it my way I'd be happy to give it a thurough cleaning. ;)