How Often Do You Clean Your Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Firpo, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    Wazzu WA
    Well Ya... when your 12 u have all the time in the world. When your old as dirt like me, U start to run out of patience.
    What's your address. :D:D:D

2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sitka, Alaska
    Being that Sitka's part of the Tongass Rain Forest and located on an island in the North Pacific - very damp salt air environment, our firearms get a thorough cleaning and wipe down with Barricade at least twice a year whether they look like they need it or not.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Chicago IL Area
    I plan on cleaning my Ruger Mark 111 when it stops working. All the horror stories I have heard has made me afraid to even attempt it.

4. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Iowa
    It's not really all that bad. At least the MK I and MKIII's I've done. Yes, a little bit of a pain, but not horrible.
    Might be a good idea to get the hang of cleaning it before it gets real, real bad ;)

dbcooper, drymag, Kweeksdraw and 3 others like this.
  5. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Colorado
    I've done the full tear down on my Mark ll several times. Still have to get the manual out each time but the job gets done. They are not easy, but they are not impossible either.

dbcooper, drymag, Kweeksdraw and 4 others like this.
  6. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    FEMA Region V
    I clean mine after they get back from the range. The guns that don't make it to the range get cleaned twice a year, wether they need it or not.

dbcooper, drymag, Kweeksdraw and 2 others like this.
  7. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Yelm, WA
    I do a quick clean while having coffee at the range when I am finished shooting, then I do a detailed Cleaning when I get home before I put the guns to bed (in the safe). Even if I don't go shooting, I clean and oil them about once a month (sometimes more often when I am bored.

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Well.....it depends....lol!! As with others I have rifles I haven't fired in decades nor have they been "cleaned". Examined and wiped down if needed, yes, usually 2-3 times a year, however. Except for my carry piece(s) and the rifle over the fireplace mine all live in a climate controlled vault in safes with Goldenrod heaters in them. I have not had one issue in the over 24 years I've been storing that way. Right now there is two rifles I'm shooting nearly every day and one won't get cleaned until I'm finished with load development. The other is my Schuetzen rifle and I practice offhand with it just about every day, time, weather and head cold permitting. I think it was last week I finally "cleaned" it for the first time in over a year.

9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Read an article years ago that advised taking the grip panels off and dunking it in a bucket of diesel. Don't think I'd go that route. The Ruger 22 autos can be frustrating but it's not that bad. The first time you clean it you definitely want to do it when you haven't got any distractions or are in a hurry.

10. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    George,

It's been a while so thought you might like to see a couple pictures of the old girl. Someday I really need to figure out how to post nicer pictures.

IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0395.JPG

Attached Files:

Big Mak, drymag, Kweeksdraw and 3 others like this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    I just can't get over how dang good looking that thing is!

12. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    peru,ny
    Very nice, firpo. Looks like it's aching to go to the range.

dbcooper, drymag, Broot and 2 others like this.
  13. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    It desperately needs a range trip. I bought it in Feb of 2015 and have only shot it twice. And I believe that was a year ago. Just no good places to shoot rifles near me. Handguns, 22's and shotguns I've got lots of great places to shoot but not rifles.

drymag, Broot and joe45c like this.
  14. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Wonderful Wyoming
    I clean mine whenever the bores look like they need it. Usually 2 times a year...sometimes more.

drymag likes this.
  15. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    peru,ny
    Well that's the pits. How close is the nearest rifle range to you?

dbcooper, drymag and Broot like this.