The Firearms Forum banner

I have a problem

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Firpo 
#1 ·
Handgun holster Bag Leather

My Officers. My daughter was shooting it t'other day and she had a jam on the 3rd round. I took it and cleared the jam.

Empty had not completely extracted. Not a stovepipe - front half of the case was still in the chamber.

I lectured her on limp-wristing (she shoots revolvers) and let her try again.

3rd round, same thing.

I cleared it, then I shot it. 3rd round, same thing.

Tried again with factory ammo (instead of my loads). 3rd round, same thing.

If it did it every time, or randomly, I would suspect something was wrong with the extractor.

But 3rd round, four times, two different shooters, reloads AND factory?

I'm puzzled.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
My first thought is check the magazines, with most problems on a 1911. Since the only thing changing on the gun is the spring tension of the follower between rounds and it happening at the same point. Maybe the feed lips are dorked up and by the third round it can tilt up and interfere with the casing coming back. It's either that or the extractor or a combination there of. Dont know what else would cause it to do that at the same point every time.

#4 ·
Same mag. I've just got the one short one. Colt made.

Did not occur to me at the time to try the only other mag I had with me - full size Shooting Star.

Just decided "ah hell, gun's broke. Put it up, shoot something else".

#8 ·
Sounds like a magazine problem to me as well.

Reactions: carver and dbcooper
#9 ·
Magazines are disposable accessories that wear out and should be replaced from time to time. But if magazine is not an issue insure that there is a gap between feed ramp and barrel as shown above, if not there will be feed issues because bullet will hit top of barrel and slide will catch it creating jams.

Reactions: carver
#10 ·
I would add that the "jump", and the space shown as 1/32 inch, is necessary. It is detrimental for the two ramps to become one continuous one without the jump. There must be a jump from the frame ramp to the barrel ramp or reliability of feeding will be impaired. It seem counter intuitive but it is true. A read of Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 service manual will reveal this requirement:

https://www.amazon.com/Colt-45-auto...TF8&qid=1486465840&sr=8-55&keywords=book+1911

LDBennett

#11 ·
You didn't mention the bullet type, but I will assume a RN?

Wolffe Springs are miraculous. I've swapped out the springs on every single magazine I own for my 1911's and I have no issues (whereas I would occasionally have issues, particularly on the Para Ord mags.

One exception; the old girl, no sense in swapping out the springs on a Model 1911 2 tone-1916 magazine. It doesn't get used!

#12 ·
I wonder if something could have made its way in to the mag? I do not own a 1911......yet, but if you can disassemble the mag ya may want to check.

Reactions: joe45c
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.