Iver Johnson question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Bud Edwards, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    A couple of years ago I saw a 22 target revolver at a small gun show. The only way I can describe it is slab sided. looking from the side there was no roundness to the profile.
    The profile looked to be an inch and a half or so from top to bottom. I remember the
    barrel being six inches or more and was nickel plated.
    I would have bought it on the spot but when I was checking it for function there were several
    problems. I would like to find another. Anyone have an idea what model to look for?

2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Was it a top break or solid frame and did it have wood, rubber or one piece tenite grips?

3. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    It was top break. I can't recall the grips.

4. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Iver Johnson made a Supershot Model 70 (7 shot) and 90 (9 shot) in the 30's that were considered target pistols.

They upgraded the model and recessed the chambers to create the Supershot Sealed 8, which had several variations.

They also developed a Trigger Cocking 22 Single action that resembled the Supershot's. Apparently you would pull the trigger once to cock the hammer so you wouldn't have to readjust your grip to do so. When you pulled the trigger the second time it fired.

In the 50's they redesigned the pistol again and released the Model 66 Trailsman and Model 67 Viking. The Model 66 had a hammer with a firing pin and the Model 67 had the frame mounted firing pin and the "hammer the hammer action".

5. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    I've seen pictures of the Supershot but it didn't the flat slab sides to the barrel.

6. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    There is a variation of the Supershot Sealed 8 that the barrel is more oval in shape. I will try to find a picture.

7. Ron Legros

Ron Legros Member

Jun 12, 2007
    I doubt it was a Iver Johnson as I have never seen a Target Model that was nickel plated. The Super Shot Models were blue as were the Sealed Eight, 36T (Trigger Cocking), Champion, Armsworth, Trailsman, and Viking.

8. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    It was an Iver Johnson. I googled Iver Johnson revolver images. I look ed at all of
    the pics and there are none that have slab sided look it had. I wish I had inquired
    as to what model it was. But after I saw that it had problems with functioning I just
    walked away.

9. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    The only slab sided top break Iver Johnson would have been the Supershot Sealed 8 Model 844 (see pic above)

It could also be the Model 66 Trailsman pictured below.

Ron is correct, none of the Iver Johnon .22 Target Pistols were nickel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  10. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    It wasn't either of the pictured. The profile from top to bottom was deeper and the sides were completely flat.

11. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Here is one more, it’s a Model 844 and was reportedly only made 1955 and 1956. I am at a loss if it’s not this one. Those are the only Iver Johnson .22 Top Break target pistols I know of, with the slab barrel.

It is possible it could have been a prototype that got out, but none of them were finished in nickel. Let us know if you find out.

Attached Files:

12. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    No, its not that one either. Since it was a couple of years ago it is probably sold
    and I'll never see it again. But from now on when I go to gun shows I'll have my camera
    with me. If I ever see it again I'lleither buy it or at least get pictures.

13. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    That looks more like it. But it was a couple years ago and I'm going by memory.
    It was nickel plated but maybe that was done aftermarket.

14. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Kittanning, Pa.
    After looking through The Iver Johnson book and looking at your pictures again I'm pretty sure that it is the one pictured in post 7.