Know your gun...here's why

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Broot, Dec 31, 2016.

1. bosun

bosun Well-Known Member

Might have used the wrong powder,might have double charged it, or might have not rodded the ball/sabot/boolet all the way down to touch the powder. I'm not an expert, but have been reading that if the projectile is not in contact with the powder (as in no space in between the powder and the patched projectile) you can have a pipe bomb, which is what that looks like..

Broot and Kweeksdraw like this.
  2. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

Don't know what caused it. But the shooter probably did something wrong, like I did when I wanted to put shooter in italics and now they won't go away. But my computer has not blown up like the Savage, so I will continue.
    Back in the late 1970's lots of people were shooting 38special target handloads with 2.7 gr of Bullseye. That was the pet load of the champion Bull's Eye competitors. Guns started blowing up all over the country. Word had it that loads that lite load could cause improper burning or detonation with said powder. LOTS of experts investigated. The only way it could be duplicated was the NRA's testing using triple loads. I just can't imagine any one screwing up enough to do a triple load. Not even me. Anyway before seating bullets, while charged brass is still in the tray, I take a flashlight and look in every case to be sure powder level is the same in all, on everything I load. Hard to do on a muzzle loader.
    Wonder if he's gonna have a flinch, dang hope I don't get one from that picture.

3. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Albert Einstein said it best.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity: and I'm not sure about the universe."

4. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

If there is a wall at the edge of the universe, what is on the other side of the wall?

5. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've done plenty of stupid things in my life, fortunately not that specific stupid thing. Poor guy screwed up and paid an awful price for his mistake. I personally think a muzzleloader ought to look like a muzzleloader. Not quite sure what the deal is with a bolt action muzzleloader. If you want to make a lot of smoke why not look cool while doing it? That rifle looks like a smokeless powder rifle. Crazy

Rothhammer1, Kweeksdraw and Broot like this.
  6. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

that will NOT buff out

7. sck

sck Well-Known Member

I was working at a big-box sporting goods store in 1996 when Remington released its' 700ML. Had them on order for weeks. Sold about 2 dozen the first week after they arrived. We warned every buyer about the potential for disaster and instructed them repeatedly and in writing about what propellants could be used. In spite of all of that, had two of them "blow-up." Fought a legal battle with one of those fine customers for almost two years!

firefighter1635 and Broot like this.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That was the shooters stupidity. The 700ML was not designed for smokeless powder.

dbcooper, firefighter1635 and Broot like this.
  9. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

I chose a Remington 700ML (bolt action) for the simple reason that I wanted to be able to hit what I was aiming at. The model 700 bolt and fire control group is known for a fast lock time, thereby assisting accuracy. The old-fashioned side-hammer locks are v e r y s l o w locks, making one guess about when the hammer will finally strike the cap.

They also have a removable breech block making cleaning the bore a snap.

Most owners are careful to never consider using unsafe components.

10. Firpo

I know it's me just not understanding things but if you "want to be able to hit what you're aiming at" then why not shoot a rifle that uses modern ammunition?

I'm just not getting it.

Broot, firefighter1635 and tedwitt like this.
  11. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know that here in Colorado there is an early BP only hunting season. They get a chance at the game before all the crazy newbies hit the woods. Kinda like archery hunting. It's a bigger challenge.

Personally, I have enough challenges already, however I did use a Ruger No. 1 for many years.

dbcooper and Firpo like this.
  12. Firpo

One Shot,

I guess I kind of get it. Let's see here. There is an archery season to allow those hunters first crack as it's much more difficult to take a dear (you gotta get close) with a bow as opposed to, to use your example a Ruger No 1 say in 30-06. That makes total sense to me. Then they opened a Black Powder season allowing those hunters their try at a buck because BP shooting is more difficult and "less accurate" than modern arms. I'm picturing a guy dressed in regalia looking something like Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett. Again you need to get pretty close say 100 yards or so. This makes sense as well. Then they open up the season to all shooters which means those folks with modern rifles that can reach 300-500 yards and out depending on your setup. Again, this makes sense. Now back to these BP rifles that are built like and apparently are accurate like modern rifles.... Is this some way to work around the intent of a BP season by meeting the letter of the law? If that's the case then that may explain why I'm not understanding the purpose of these guns. See I'm one of those rules guys, been that way since I was a little kid. My parents tell a story of me when I was about three years old. A neighbor friend's mother was calling him and he was ignoring her. My solution was to grab him by the ear and drag him home saying "your mama is calling you". "You need to go home." I'm one of those guys that stops at stop signs.....all the way....even when it's late at night and no one is around. Seems to me that if the intent of these "modern BP rifles" is to manipulate the system somehow I think that's sad. It's cheating those hunters who's purpose is to follow what I believe to be the real intent of a BP season out of their opportunity to possibly fill their tag.

I know that's just my opinion and you're welcome to yours. To me integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking and this for some reason just rubs me the wrong way. That is if I'm guessing correctly the intent of these rifles. :(

Broot and One Shot like this.
  13. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

In our state, there is a muzzleloader only deer season. That's why.

We also have a bow season, two separate shotgun seasons, and some special extended seasons in designated parts of the state.

And, of course, we are not allowed to use high-power rifles for deer. Although I have heard one at least once somewhere in my neighborhood.

Broot likes this.
  14. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Im guessing that it is not breaking any of the rules, but maybe just bending them a little. :)

I wouldn't like the early seasons anyway. I need snow to track and cold to keep the meat from going bad.

dbcooper likes this.
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

After reading the above statements, I have to ask.
    Have you ever shot a traditional style ML ? Wanting to hit what you're aiming at ? These rifles are accurate.
    SLOW lock time ? Never had that happen except for a couple of times with a flintlock. All it took was a flint change.

dbcooper, Firpo and Broot like this.