Know your gun...here's why

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Broot, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep, we can't use modern rifles in our state.

Other than muzzleloader, youth and disabled, it's pretty much archery and two "Reg Gun" seasons (shotgun, handgun). Those two shotgun seasons are really the best time to hunt except for the fact both are heaped full of whackos. My brother and I have been shot at twice now in the two shotgun seasons. First was a few years ago we were on private property stalking a few deer (full blaze orange). A truck drives out into the field and starts shooting at the deer right between us. They never even hit a deer and we could hear slugs wooshing past. The second incident was just last December (2016) when we were driving home and one slug hit my brother's truck in the box and another slug right below the driver's door. Yes, it's really that bad here :(

So early and late muzzle are our only safe firearm seasons to hunt (Oct & late Dec-Jan).

I'll be cheating a little with my scoped inline CVA; since we hunt open fields and I need the extra help (BDC to help at longer range). The rules specifically allow inlines, so long as it's not electronic ignition (whatever that may be :confused:). I am using BP and home-cast conicals - I hope I'm a little more old fashioned in that regard :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    dbcooper, One Shot and Firpo like this.
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now there ya go, that makes total sense. If you aren't allowed to use modern rifles then do the best you can with what they do allow.

As to how accurate a BP rifle can be I remember shooting one my father made from a kit when I was a youngster. I could be wrong on this but I believe it was a Thompson kit and for sure it was/is a .50 Cal Hawken. We would eat up the bullseye at 100 yards with iron sights. That thing was a tack driver with a round ball. I've only shot but a few BP rifles but all of them have been very accurate.......just ask the British (hahaha hehehe)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    One Shot, howlnmad and Broot like this.

3. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice that guys right hand was hurt and it was a right handed rifle? If anything his left hand should have been blow off.... this story doesn't smell right if u look at the pics.

dbcooper and Broot like this.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I shoot right handed rifles left handed all the time. If he was choking up on his hold like many do, his right hand would be right over the damage.

dbcooper and Broot like this.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Maybe I guess, I've guess I've never seen people do that. It possible I was just hoping that story was false

Broot likes this.
  6. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I noticed he's a left-handed shooter. My brother shoots right-handed rifles left-handed, too, so nothing odd IMO.

dbcooper likes this.
  7. Rothhammer1

Rothhammer1 Well-Known Member

Ow.

Broot likes this.
  8. Rothhammer1

That, and it doesn't hurt to weigh them between stages and after they are complete. It's a simple step to park each one on a scale for a moment before placing them in a block.

Broot likes this.
  9. Rothhammer1

Some muzzle loading long arms are extremely accurate in the right hands, particularly the finely crafted 'Pennsylvania' and 'Kentucky' rifles of old. Frontiersmen used them as 'game getters' in their daily lives and could easily pick off squirrels and other small game at considerable distance.

That's why many 'rebels' during the revolution who used their own arms crouched behind rocks, fences, and chose their shots. Brits (and anyone else) with inaccurate muskets were trained to stand rank and file in order to lay 'sheets of fire' in hopes that the sheer volume of lead sent downrange would cause the desired damage.

10. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

Ok.. I'm working off my phone here. But blowing the photo up of the barrel and scanning to the right stopping at the end of the framented barrel. Is there a bullet stuck right there in the barrel?? Sure looks like a spire point flat base bullet of some sort to me????

11. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

It kinda looks like it now that you point it out

12. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

If so its possible he may have done everything right but failed to fully seat the bullet
    All other possibilities are still valid also.
    You may never know the whole story

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't think so myself, it looks more like a shadow to me. If it is a bullet, then it is a smaller diameter than the bore and the spire point is pointed up!

Broot likes this.