New toy arrived: Cimarron/Uberti 1873 7th Cavalry revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Big Mak, Jan 4, 2017.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Jim, if he doesn't love it there's something terribly amiss....:D

My first big bore revolver was a Ruger SBH and I shot it for a few years and killed a couple deer with it. Sometime in the early 80's I think, I picked up a Colt SAA clone in 45 Colt. Wasn't long the 44 Mag. went down the road and the 45 has been my "big bore of choice" ever since. I like the 44 Spl. too but it doesn't share the same history as the ol' hogleg cartridge. Then about 2000 or 2001 I picked up a Freedom Arms Mod. 97 in 45 Colt. If I need horsepower in a handgun it has the capability.

Kweeksdraw and jim brady like this.
  2. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    Sharps, I have a little regret now not getting the Winchester 94 in 45 Colt (as we were discussing in PMs back a few months ago when trying to decide) but the 38/55 sure has been fun.

We had a WAGUNS.NET reunion on Jan 1st, an annual tradition, at the Evergreen Sportsman Club and naturally I brought the black powder cartridge rifles with.

My first six shots at 100 yard shots with the Winchester 94 in 38-55 reported a nice crisp clear "GONG" on one of the 12" steel targets. The feller next to me looked at me in astonishment and said "Nice shooting John Wayne" LOL! I gave the rifle all the credit. :)

Kweeksdraw, jim brady and dbcooper like this.

3. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2015
    WOW that thing is almost too purdy to shoot.........almost. Feeling jealous:p

Kweeksdraw, dbcooper and Big Mak like this.
  4. sharps4590

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Good shooting Mak! The 38-55 was chosen by American Schuetzen shooters for a reason, it's accurate!

As far as the 45 Colt in a lever....well, seems to me you have a good reason to get another rifle...:D

Kweeksdraw, Big Mak and Grizzley1 like this.
  5. Big Mak

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    I did not know this. Now you have me chasing stories. :)

http://www.assra.com/getting_started.htm

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  6. sharps4590

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Schuetzen Rifles; History and Loadings by Gerald O. Kelver is a pretty good overview. "Major Ned Roberts and The Schuetzen Rifle" by the same author is good but more about Roberts than the rifle.

Kweeksdraw and Big Mak like this.
  7. Big Mak

Nov 14, 2014
    Washington State
    Mini range report.
    34 deg with a 45 mph wind blow sideways on the range. DANG it was cold!
    I used a standard one grip stance on both the 45 colt and S&W 357 magnum.
    I only had 20 rds of 45 colt with me, 10 shot. 1 shot (the first) I think I completely missed the target at 50 feet!
    Definitely not a good day to shoot and froze my butt off, thus the low hole count in the paper. With the black sights of the Colt 1873 on the black paper, this wasn't a good combo.

The Cimarron Colt 1873 Cav revolver was a pleasure to shoot! The hammer really functions nice and the trigger breaks crisp, cleanly. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I would guess it's got a 3 lb pull. Slightly less than the S&W Mod 66 .357 mag.
    The one head shot was intentional with the .357 mag.

20170108_110409_resized.jpg

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Northeast Florida
    Great looking gun. It has F Troop stamped on it. I remember that show. LOL

9. sharps4590

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    To call SAA sights rudimentary is being kind. However, they can be worked with and some good work done. Depending on how willing a fella is to take a file to a new handgun you can open up the "hog trough" rear notch a little and get some more light around the front sight. The front sight blade can also be thinned. I doubt anyone has to say that shooting in that kind of wind and being cold is not conducive to good shooting.