Open sight backup

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kody24, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Nw oregon
    Looking for a rear peep sight that can be mounted behind the back scope mount and can be folded down so as to not interfere with a low mounted scope on my hunting rifle. I hate the barrel mounted rear sights that typically came on bolt action rifles and am looking for a backup for if I break my scope that will work fine if I just remove the scope. I have broken scopes in the past and that long walk out with a useless hunting rifle sucks a lot more than removing the scope and keeping hunting would. Any suggestions? I hunt with a winchester model 70 and a commercial mauser, both with low mounted optics

carver likes this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Chicago IL Area
    Back in the early 70's I went hunting with my uncle. We had planned this for over a year. The scope on the rifle he loaned me fogged up due to the damp rainy weather. If it didn't have iron sights on it that would have been the end of it.

I could never understand why almost all rifles don't have iron sights anymore.

3. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Nw oregon
    Same here. And nobody seems to make them for anything scoped unless it's an AR or similar. If I had a machine shop I would make rear scope mounts with an adjustable peep built in.

carver likes this.
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Yet they have a stock with a comb that is the height for use with iron sights. :/

carver and Kody24 like this.
  5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Seems a little folding, tang mounted sight is exactly what you're looking for. Lyman, Marbles, I think Redfield and no doubt others made them. One time I found a web-site that catered to old sights and they had quite a collection. Might take a stroll around the web and see what's out there. Something like this Lyman #2. Couple that sight with a bead front sight and you may throw your scope away.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-t...dium=PLA&utm_term=&utm_campaign=1100005126174

joe45c likes this.
  6. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

joe45c, ral357 and dbcooper like this.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Shoot, I would take a peep sight over open ones any day!!

joe45c, zkovach and jsjj388 like this.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Simla, Colorado
    I was just thinking about this yesterday! There was a Post on TFF about "rifles you regret selling" or similar. I related a story about a customized 1903. It had JUST the rear-sight system that I think you speak of.

It was very simple and very effective. The one-piece scope mount had a simple, folding peep sight incorporated onto the rear of the base. It was adjustable by (when the scope was removed, of course) loosening a screw and sliding the peep left or right for windage. There was no elevation correction. The idea was to set the windage at 100 yards then determine the elevation necessary for elevation correction with the hunting ammunition being used and just aim to that point with "Kentucky" adjustment.

The rear sight was always a part of the rifle and couldn't be damaged or get lost. I've never seen another like it - but I'd buy one if I did. One of the nice features was that you didn't have to remove the scope mount to use the sight - and if you put the scope back in place it was still zeroed.

joe45c and Kody24 like this.
  9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

And you might do better at shooting than I do. I learned on standard sights from age 7, and that's what I'm most accurate with!

joe45c likes this.
  10. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Nw oregon
    That sounds like exactly what I want to do. I would have to tinker and create an elevation adjustment though.

11. My muzzle loader has iron sights (really fiber optic but same type sight) on it so I got a set of see through scope mounts to go on it. Actually used them once in a situation similar to what has been described.

carver and Kody24 like this.
  12. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Nw oregon
    It happens. I've killed 3 scopes in my hunting career and have had one get loose twice. I use leupold optics on my elk rifle and have never had an issue with it, but the day may come when I take a tumble and break a lense. I'm not fond of the see through mounts, I like my scope low as half the shots at game out here are 300 yards or more and a good cheek weld is important. I like mine with my cheekbone resting on the stock, it's just what's comfortable for me.

carver and jsjj388 like this.
  13. I can see that. the scope mounts on my old 30-30 are semi see through and I can still use the iron sights on it. Its not great but it is accurate

carver likes this.
  14. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Simla, Colorado
    That old one-piece scope base I referred to was - I THINK - Leopold. The rifle was built by a very good custom gunsmith - as I recall - in the Reno area in the late 60s or early 70s. My friend had received it as a wedding present - but it was "too fancy" for his tastes and we swapped dead even for my plane-Jane 788 Remington in .308 caliber. It was such a simple sight that he may have even made it himself. Just a one-piece scope base with a small folding peep sight leaf located on the rear of the scope mount base.

carver likes this.
  15. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Michigan
    Agreed try Williams iron sight. They make tons of models. Out of Davison Michigan. I'd give them a call

carver likes this.