The Firearms Forum banner

Opinions - Taurus Millennium PT 111/140/145 Series

95K views 81 replies 57 participants last post by  Rhuga 
G
#1 ·
Gearjammin1096
(1/9/03 1:19:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Opinions - Taurus Millennium PT 111/140/145 Series
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone had experience with the PT series for reliability? I like the fact that they are DAO autoloaders that also have an independent external safety. However, I'm interested if this platform has a history of malfunction, or, is it reliable as CCW?

The lifetime warranty is a great benefit, unless you need it all the time! Thanks for your input.

Jbobin
(1/9/03 3:25:23 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del RE: Taurus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gearjammer,
I have a Taurus copy of the Sig P226. It is called a PT908. Is was discontinued (I don't know when, does anyone know?)...It is not a Millenium, but I think it was the generation before it.

It has the same functions as the Sig, dbl action first pull, single action thereafter.

It has been completely reliable and I have not had a problem with it in 8 months. I put a box of ammo thru it every week (I also deep clean it every 250 rounds, range clean and light oil weekly) I have no reservations about CCW carry with it (8+1 capacity), as it can be concealed well enough inside waist band.. The Taurus warranty is excellent and I have heard that they stand behind what they make 100%.

Jb

MTaylor
(1/9/03 4:24:09 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE: Taurus
I have, or did have, a Tarus .45 Milenium. It's at the factory being repaired at the moment. They have had it for about a month now. It would misfire about 5 rounds out of 50.

I wish I had done my homework prior to selecting the Tarus. They do not have that good a rating with the Better Business Bureau in Florida...

docreg
(1/11/03 3:01:38 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Opinions - Taurus Millennium PT 111/140/145 Series
My wife has 2 Millennium PT111s, identical, and they both work excellent. She has put 500 rounds through each without a hitch. Her girlfriend also has the same gun (had it before my wife did) and she loves hers. I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot my Glock. Yup, now the wife has 2 Glock Model 19s.

She thinks they (the Glocks) are the best thing since sliced bread! I paid less for the TWO PT111s than I did for ONE Glock Model 19, but all four of them are very reliable, the PT111 is smaller/lighter, but the PT111 trigger pull is WAY TOO LONG. Glock trigger is much better.

All four are equally accurate. She hits whatever she aims at, and she carries the Glock 19 for CCW or her Taurus T85 Titanium .38 Special, depending on her dress ocassion.

Hope that helped.

Doc Reg
CCW Instructor
NRA Instructor

Shooter357
(1/11/03 9:31:11 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Taurus
Good advice.... For many, it comes down to money. If you can wait until your kitty has more $$$, then Glock is the way to go. If you're in the $300 range, the Taurus 111 is a great little gun for the money. A little lower and you best choice might be a Kel-Tec. Don't overlook a good used Glock option.

PASQUOT
(1/14/03 11:30:18 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Taurus
Hi guys.
I have the TAURUS pt140. 40 cal. I reload my own. It has never malfunctioned. However, I want to sell it simply because i don't like the trigger pull on it. Way too hard for target, plinking. etc.

It was designed for concealed carry. for that, it is superb.
I believe the trigger pull is about 12 lbs.

The extra plus for it, law suits, is it comes with a locking key that completely disables it until your ready to carry it.

1badmagnum
(1/14/03 11:55:01 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Taurus
every compact I've fired is junk in my opinion.the full sized pt92,pt100,and pt945 are excellent firearms.accurate,reliable,the 45 is easiest to cc because of the shorter barrel.

denfoote
(2/17/03 4:31:54 am)
JUNK!!!!!

I had a PT-145. The frame cracked after only 650 rounds of standard pressure 230gr hardball!! I sent it back to Taurus and when it returned, I sold it, bought night sights for my Glock 36, and never looked back!!! It was to bad though. That pistol would print 2" groups at 25 yards!!
Glocks may come and Glocks may go, but Walther endures forever!!

Edited by: denfoote at: 2/17/03 4:32:38 am

sig230
(2/17/03 11:39:09 am)
I got rid of my Taurus Millennium before I even shot it. It had without a doubt, the WORST trigger I have ever found on any semi-automatic pistol.
Aslan is not a Tame Lion

docreg
(2/22/03 1:26:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Opinions - Taurus Millennium PT 111/140/145 Series
Have to agree with SIG230 on the Taurus trigger pull. It is a bona fide Commiefornia certified "Attorney Special"
that has a 14 pound pull requiring a 3/4 inch travel to fire a round. Not just the first shot, but every shot!!
AND it has an external thumb actuated safety. WHO needs an external thumb safety on a DAO pistol? That's what I call an "Attorney Special" because there is no way they could ever acusse you of "accidentally" shooting someone.

This in no way invalidates my earlier post. The PT111 is VERY reliable, dependable, and easy to use. It is the PERFECT Commiefornia CCW gun for ladies, because it is small, light weight, compact, minimal recoil, easy to field strip and clean, easy to load and shoot, carries 11 shots, and is relatively accurate at close range. It is not a target pistol, but will get the job done at 3-7 yards (or closer).

Doc Reg
NRA Instructor
CCW Instructor

See less See more
#2 ·
have seen no reports on the taurus pt 145 millennium pro, I have one and though not thousands of rounds through it, the several i've ran all went boom! the cracked frames are a thing of the past with the millennium pro and a very easy to control 45, like the man said, not a target pistol to cough out rounds at 50 yards but for its intended purpose of a sd for home or personal perotection i'd not be afraid to count on it!! Another great point for it is IF u ever had to drop a bg, when the pd came out and u turned it over to them, really, what have u maybe lost, a 275.00 gun? Sure beats maybe never seeing ur les brown again OR the 1600.00 or so u invested in it!!!!

#3 ·
I have the Pro PT111, Taurus makes one of the best products in their price range. It was my primary carry. I generally carry IWB and its a bit chunky for comfort. Now that I have the Kahr PM9 it is a mattress gun. IMO the trigger pull was quite pleasant, compared to the P3AT or the NAA 380. I would trust my life to any of my Taurus, like my PT908. Now if I could conceal that M607 (Taurus 357 compensated 6 1/2" 7 shot). Yea Baby :D

#4 ·
I had PT-111 like size !Hated trigger!Word of warning field stripping this baby is a bitch as putting it back together you need extra fingers to get it done.
I sold it for glock 17 and never locked back.I think you get what you pay for
no matter what product it is.

#5 ·
I have the third generation PT-145, the one with the little accessory rail in front of the trigger guard.

It is one of the best guns I have ever owned. Mine has gone "bang" every time I have pulled, the now silky smooth trigger, over 2000 times and counting. It is really nice to buy a sub $300.00 gun, that shoots to point of aim, right out of the box, first round. I love the second strike capability, if ever needed. It is super fun to shoot and is my constant companion either as a BUG or a primary office carry. I have sold 5 friends on this little hand cannon by simply giving it to them for a weekend, along with a bunch of targets and 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr. FMJ from Wally World. They all have the stainess slide versions but mine just has the black slide. Double taps are effortless and easy to control. Take down and cleaning is a snap and it has great big white dot sights. When at home mine takes on the role of nightstand gun with a little light on the rail. ;)

I am planning to buy one for each of my two sons when they go for their Texas CHL's as a gift of completion. :D

G
#7 ·
I have a Taurus Millennium Pro PT-745, which is very similar to the -145 but a bit smaller. So far it has been a most excellent weapon with not a single misfire or failure to feed. I use it often as a carry weapon because I like the .45 caliber punch it provides in a small, light package.

#8 ·
Taurus should be ashamed of itself for boasting about the PT1911 and then putting them out at a rediculous rate of somewhere between zero and slightly better. I expected the PT1911 for Christmas 2005, then Christmas 2006. My dealer says he has never actually talked with a dealer that has had one come in. He has had mine of order for over a year and a half. If this is how Taurus treats potential buyers, they scare me as to what type of weapon they put out. I see multiple threads about how happy people are after getting it back from the factory for repairs of their new weapon. Repairing a new weapon merely means they are putting out a product and hoping it works. I agree that when it works, it really works. Waiting for something this long means they have probably lost me to another brand. I have the Millenium in .45 and enjoy it. It appears that will be my last Taurus. Quality is one thing, not having it available is another. I am guessing that Springfield will soon have another customer. Me. Taurus needs to get a fair system for distribution instead of shipping everything they have to a small number of suppliers.

#10 ·
Help!!! I went to a farm on Saturday and noticed that I got a slight bite to the webbing of my right hand, every time I fire my PT111 Millenium. Then I noticed a very small crack in the frame, running horisontally from the retaining pin towards the middle of the frame. This crack opens up with every shot fired and it actually pinched my hand every time. Is this dangerous and can I keep on firing the gun??

It is almost impossible to get a license for a handgun here in SA, so I hope Taurus will replace the frame!??!?

I have fired around 800 rounds through this gun and most were Sellier and Bellot factory ammo.

#12 ·
Help!!! I went to a farm on Saturday and noticed that I got a slight bite to the webbing of my right hand, every time I fire my PT111 Millenium. Then I noticed a very small crack in the frame, running horisontally from the retaining pin towards the middle of the frame. This crack opens up with every shot fired and it actually pinched my hand every time. Is this dangerous and can I keep on firing the gun??

It is almost impossible to get a license for a handgun here in SA, so I hope Taurus will replace the frame!??!?

I have fired around 800 rounds through this gun and most were Sellier and Bellot factory ammo.
You need to stop firing that gun IMMEDIATELY. It is no longer safe.

You got a bad deal, Altrisk. The Millenium series had some problems with the frames cracking like that; the newer Millenium Pro series is, I've read and heard, much better, but that doesn't change the fact that yours is broken.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty on everything, so theoretically they will fix it for you. I can't say how long that will take, as I've never used their repair service (I don't own any Taurus guns).

I hope it all works out for you, man.

#13 ·
You need to stop firing that gun IMMEDIATELY. It is no longer safe.

You got a bad deal, Altrisk. The Millenium series had some problems with the frames cracking like that; the newer Millenium Pro series is, I've read and heard, much better, but that doesn't change the fact that yours is broken.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty on everything, so theoretically they will fix it for you. I can't say how long that will take, as I've never used their repair service (I don't own any Taurus guns).

I hope it all works out for you, man.
+1 :)

www.taurusarmed.net

#14 ·
I bought a new PT 111 and wish I hadn't. Out of the first 10 attempts to fire: 6 were misfires, 2 fired but jambed on ejection and I had one double fire. I sent it in for repairs eight weeks ago. I called them today and they couldn't tell me when it would ship, but "it should be soon" They said that they had some shipping problems.

I bought it because I wanted a "real" safety. This gun doesn't need it because it don't work. If you still want one, let me know and I'll make you a good deal as soon as I get it back from the repair shop.

#17 ·
Just bought a Millennium Pro 9mm for my wife in late December. It seems like a great gun, after 400 or 500 rounds it shoots reliably with only one jam. The slide doesn't come off for cleaning as easily as my Steyr M40A1 but that's fine :)

One problem though. At 5yards it seems to be sighted in about 12 in high. I'm relatively new to handguns, but I've had four other people shoot it, all with the same result. It has adjustable sights, but near as I can tell they're only adjustable side to side. I'd like to get it sighted in right for her, but I'm not sure what needs to be done. Any thoughts/advice?

#18 ·
I don't have experience with Taurus semiautos myself, but a friend owns a full size 9mm Taurus that looks like an exact copy of the US Army Beretta except in stainless steel, and he loves it. In my experience with the 3 Taurus revolvers I have owned I have found that if you get a good example it will be a very good revolver and a bargain to boot. But if you get a lemon you're screwed because Taurus so-called warranty "service" sucks big time.

Of the 3 Taurus revolvers I have owned only one had no mechanical problems, and that one was excellent and equal to my S&Ws and Colts in every respect. Actually it was better in some respects such as it's extremely smooth and light DA trigger and "glass rod" SA trigger. However, even though that one revolver was excellent I don't own a Taurus now and don't expect to ever buy another one. 2 lemons out of 3 guns is not good enough odds for me. And did I mention that Taurus warranty service really sucks?

#19 ·
I just purchased a Taurus Millennium PT111. I like everying about it so far. EXCEPT, I put 200rounds of 115grn Win FMJ yesterday and it consistently hit low. WAY LOW! About a foot. This is my first 9mm, I'm pretty accurate with my 44's and 38's. Could it be the ammo? Any suggestions?

#20 ·
I just purchased a Taurus Millennium PT111. I like everying about it so far. EXCEPT, I put 200rounds of 115grn Win FMJ yesterday and it consistently hit low. WAY LOW! About a foot. This is my first 9mm, I'm pretty accurate with my 44's and 38's. Could it be the ammo? Any suggestions?
It's likely the ammo. If that's the ammo you want you use, you can change the sights.

You said that it is consistently hitting low. Consistency is the only measure of accuracy. As long as it is consistent, then the sights can be changed to your liking.

#22 ·
We have a PT 111 Millenium Pro 9mm and a 24/7 PT45 Pro C and we love both guns. So far they have eaten all ammo and go bang. I just scored a 100% on my CCW shooting test with my 45. As to the availability, my dealer has had everything that I have looked for so far. Maybe I have lucked out, but he gets reasonably regular shipments of Taurus guns, both semi-auto and revolvers. I would not hesitate to purchase more.

Old Guy

#23 ·
I have a Millenium PT-111, it will be ths last DA pistol I buy.

I don't like that heavy a trigger pull.
I would have traded it by now but I put $100 Trigicon night sights on it. :eek:

I also have a NAA .380,
50 rounds and my fingers would look like hamburger :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.