options for a young shooter

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by georgerc, Jan 5, 2017.

1. georgerc

georgerc Well-Known Member

I had my boy out shooting before but he seemed disinterested, last weekend it was different, I had a full size 22 semi auto rifle with scope, he's only 7 and small framed too, for some reason he showed an interest this time and than he was asking for more, it was silly he had the butt under his arm and I kind of supported the forend, not sure how he managed to see through that scope or aim it with me supporting the weight, plus its winter and he was bundled up in several layers, but he did rather well, better than his mom.

so I have to get him something better suited, the rifle he was using is a polymer stock, not sure if I can cut it short but I believe its a little on the heavy side too, those keystone crickets were of interest, but if only they had a magazine, or maybe he's better off without, also I wonder how a 22 AR upper would work out, he never held an AR that adjustable stock may help, maybe I'll have him shoulder my 5.56,

I was also considering a pistol for him, I have a semi but its DA only and he's having a hard time with the trigger weight, I was thinking maybe one of those SA revolvers, with a 6 inch barrel, I'm sure there's some SA autos out there I'm just not that familiar with the 22 lineups.

any suggestions or recommendations for a young one?

drymag likes this.
  2. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

image.jpeg

I had the same problem when my youngest daughter started shooting. She liked my Ruger Mark ll but I wasn't comfortable with her handling a pistol yet. Rifles were too big or only single shots.

The Ruger Charger filled the bill perfectly. It's still one our favorite guns to shoot, no matter what size the person.

This is an Internet photo. Ours has a red dot 2x scope.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    The_Rifleman, georgerc, Broot and 3 others like this.

3. JimHnSTL

JimHnSTL Member

my .02 on this subject, and i have brought all three of my sons up shooting who are now in late teens or early 20's. get something that fits him so he can learn to shoot proper. buy used and when he out grows it either save it for a future grand kid or send it down to another dad in need, but do get something that fits him. i was also the rifle shooting merit badge counselor in our troop and i have help literally hundreds of kids learn the basics. have fun, do it right and he will be out shooting you sooner than you think. BTW you don't have to spend a lot of money to do this.

BobMcG, joe45c, georgerc and 4 others like this.
  4. One Shot

I did buy an extra stock for our 10-22 that I was going to cut down for her but it's still a project waiting to be done. Maybe it will be for the grandkids. :)

For her the rifles were also "too heavy". ;)

joe45c, georgerc, Broot and 2 others like this.
  5. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Check your state laws regarding children shooting handguns. My state has (had?) a law prohibiting youngsters from shooting handguns even under adult supervision, but there is an effort to get that repealed.

joe45c, georgerc, Broot and 3 others like this.
  6. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

georgerc, Broot, drymag and 1 other person like this.
  7. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

Traditionally,,,

A young boy or girl was started out on a small bolt-action single-shot rifle,,,
    Keystone Cricket, Savage Rascal, Mossberg 801 Half Pint, Henry Mini-Bolt.

I own a Cricket and a Henry Mini Bolt,,,
    Both are very accurate and perform very well.

I bought them so I would have guns for my friends kids to shoot,,,
    I've started over a dozen youngsters with these little guns,,,
    They are good rifles and perfectly adequate to the task.

Some folk say their kids get bored with a single-shot,,,
    So they buy them a smaller semi-auto like a Ruger 10/22.

Personally, if they are bored with a single-shot,,,
    I take that as they really don't have an interest in learning to shoot,,,
    They just want to have fun turning money into noise and that bothers me a bit.

Crickets can be bought new through budsgunshop.com for $119.00,,,
    My local Wal Mart has the black stocked Cricket for $114.00.

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon,,,
    But almost every kid I started on a single-shot,,,
    Eventually learned to slow down, aim at, and hit their target.

The kids whose parents bought them a semi-auto didn't have that level of success,,,
    Some of the kids were interested enough to slow down and aim,,,
    But most just surrendered to having Spray & Pray fun.

Just my not-so-humble opinion.

Aarond

BobMcG, joe45c, TyeDye1971 and 10 others like this.
  8. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd say a 7 year old that has really only shot once or twice needs a rifle rather than a pistol. Just WAY to easy for them to point a pistol in an unsafe direction. Much easier IMO to teach youngsters the basics of handling and operation of a gun with a small little single shot 22 as mentioned by Aaron. Mine learned on the Henry Mini Bolt and I found the rifle to be perfect for a starter rifle. I chose the Mini-Bolt as this was their rifle to take care of and being stainless was more forgiving as well as a simple design. I should say they still got it squeaky clean.

BobMcG, joe45c, georgerc and 4 others like this.
  9. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

I just finished modifying my nephews savage to fit him. It was a hollow composite stock.. once I cut 2" off the stock I made a cardboard dam that I pushed into the hollow stock. Pushed it down about an inch. Cardboard must fit reasonably tight and I sealed the edges with hot glue.. mixed enough epoxy to fill the void and filled it.. mix the epoxy with a black dye. That alone will suffice untill he grows into the full size stock.

If you have a 10/22 I have a stock I can cut if you can get me his length of pull

joe45c, georgerc and drymag like this.
  10. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cricket 22 may be??!!??

joe45c and georgerc like this.
  11. One Shot

I assume too much. She learned to shoot with BB guns, pellet guns, and Grampa's single shot .22. Long before moving to the Charger.

joe45c and georgerc like this.
  12. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

I still have the Remington bolt action that Dad gifted me back in 1943. Without looking, I would say it's a 513, still a fun gun for any kids. My daughters, and my son learned the basics on that old rifle, and I delight in showing my last grandsons, ages 6 and 10, the basics with my ancient rifle. They like the 10-22 also, but it is harder for them to load the 10 round magazines than it is for them to load the 7 round mag on my old rifle..besides, they are shooting their great grandfather's old gun, and that thrills them...in short, a single shot Cricket would serve well, or shopping around pawn shops and LGS might produce a piece to make memories.

joe45c, georgerc and Broot like this.
  13. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Nothing beats a single shot 22lr rifle, bolt or crack barrel, for safely learning the fundamentals IMHO. There are some great older guns floating around for about $100. Also don't underestimate the value of a decent pellet rifle as a first step........
    I would wait till the basics of safe handling are well set and his skills have grown before considering a repeater of any flavor.

14. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

My first .22LR was one of those Ithaca single shot lever guns. Saddle gun I think it was called.. as for getting them a semi auto if the youth has supervision which they should. Then only load 1 in the magazine.. just because it holds X amount does not mean it has to be thumped full.
    My first shotgun was a Ithaca Model 37 my dad cut a plug for it that only allowed 1 in the chamber for first 2 yrs

joe45c, TyeDye1971, georgerc and 3 others like this.
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

The Ithaca you are talking about is a model 49.
    The 37 is one of the hardest hitting shot guns that I have ever fired.
    Mike

joe45c, TyeDye1971 and georgerc like this.