The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
I have one that I bought in the 90's and I have never had it working correctly. It has been back to Para 3 times and it is now there and has been for 2 months. Seems they have replaced every part but it still will not go through a full mag with any rounds (reloads or factory) without a FTF, FTE or stovepipe. I know othere have them an they run great but not this one Yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm

I have one that I bought in the 90's and I have never had it working correctly. It has been back to Para 3 times and it is now there and has been for 2 months. Seems they have replaced every part but it still will not go through a full mag with any rounds (reloads or factory) without a FTF, FTE or stovepipe. I know othere have them an they run great but not this one Yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm
Use factory mags.

And add this;
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Full-Length-Guide-Rod-Officers/productinfo/25CO/

And this;
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Barrel-Bushing-Officers-Stainless/productinfo/29CO/

Thats a good question shooter. I always take my factory mags and throw them in the safe and replace them with wilson combats. First thing I do.

GunHugger;1187848 Use factory mags. said:
Why would you suggest that ?
Why?

Because I have 3 off brands in a drawer that don't work worth a darn. All five factory mags work just fine, that's why.

Why did you ask?

Thats a good question shooter. I always take my factory mags and throw them in the safe and replace them with wilson combats. First thing I do.
Wilson Combat doesn't make mags for a Para Ordnance P12.

If they do or some other company makes mags for them that work better than the factory let us know.

Wilson Combat doesn't make mags for a Para Ordnance P12.

If they do or some other company makes mags for them that work better than the factory let us know.
Well, since I dont own any double stack 1911s I guess I spoke out of line. As for the majority of any feed problems in a 1911, magazines are normally the first place to start and most often the cure or part of the cure.

Well, since I dont own any double stack 1911s I guess I spoke out of line. As for the majority of any feed problems in a 1911, magazines are normally the first place to start and most often the cure or part of the cure.
I thought that maybe you knew something about Wilson making then now. I rushed over to Wilson to see how much this would cost me, but no. I sure wish they did make them. P12 mags were never inexpensive compared to 1911 single stacks. But at least the factory Para mags are well made and reliable.

When I bought my P12, back in 1991 (I think) it came with one and a certificate to buy two more at $45 each. Haven't bought any in about 5 years, they about the same price.

I bought three aftermarket mags over the years, three different kinds, and none of them worked well even after many attempts to make them work. Just when I would think I had it working and feel kind of confident it will work it wouldn't. I gave up on trying aftermarket Para mags.

The Para mags work for me, three stainless and two black and one of the stainless ones is from 1991.

You should try one of these Para double stacks sometime, you might like it.

Kinda against my religion to go double stack 1911.....I may have to have Terry hold some extra prayer sessions if I ever slip over the edge....

Why?

Because I have 3 off brands in a drawer that don't work worth a darn. All five factory mags work just fine, that's why.

Why did you ask?
You may have got lucky OR perhaps Para-Ord is finally supplying good
mags with their pistols. They used to give a lot of problems and were considered junk. I swapped mine out for STI mags and no more problems. As I recall, I also used Infinity and Caspian mags too. Cheap double stack mags just don't work for long.
I got the same deal you did on the Para-Ord mags in around '91. The 10 rounder gave a bit of trouble but the 16 rounders were OK for a while.

I'm still wondering what kind of mags the OP is using. Since he bought the 1911 in the 1990's the problem could be mag related.

You may have got lucky OR perhaps Para-Ord is finally supplying good
mags with their pistols. They used to give a lot of problems and were considered junk. I swapped mine out for STI mags and no more problems. As I recall, I also used Infinity and Caspian mags too. Cheap double stack mags just don't work for long.
I got the same deal you did on the Para-Ord mags in around '91. The 10 rounder gave a bit of trouble but the 16 rounders were OK for a while.

I'm still wondering what kind of mags the OP is using. Since he bought the 1911 in the 1990's the problem could be mag related.
I forgot about Caspian, did they make mags for the P12?

A good friend used a Para P14 for IPSIC shoots and loved the Caspian mags. If I remember right I tried to find them for my P12 but they didn't make them then.

Do you have a P12? And STI and Caspian mags for it? If so, I'll have to try some since mine are all getting old and well used, but still working.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I had a P-16 .40.
Oh well...

P12 mag availability aren't as varied as some of their other models. That's why the factory Para mags are the best choice for the P12 that I have been able to find.

Give Brownell's a call and they can tell you what Mags will work in the P-12.
They only list Promags as available for the P12.

No thanks Brownells.

I went to meet a man that I met online that wanted to sale a p-12 and upon examination of the firearm looked like he had dropped it into some sand and ran it over; nonetheless, I wanted one. (Just so we are clear, I didn't purchase that p-12) So, around christmas time, the wife and I was in Gander Mountain down in Little Rock when I came across the P-14 limited. The wife bought it and I was and still am pleased. It came with a limited life time warranty, box with 2 14rounders, papers and one empty brass. With in the first 100 rounds, I had 2 failure to feeds where the brass was on the ramp but the slide didn't close all the way…with a slap on the bottom of the mag, it goes home. I gave it a 500 round break in with no further problems. I have a conceal carry holster that I carry it in…JBP035…once in sears I turned just right and the mag fell out. An old man went for it and I beat him to it. Oddly enough, after a brief discussion, we ended up back at his truck where he showed me the same gun in a 9mm. I need a conceal holster for it eventually but I'm picky because of the target sights. I do have a handmade leather shoulder holster, but that is for winter wear only because of the bulk. It's a great firearm; however, as stated before, it is pricey. sx1445s $1,299.99 + pro-plan $29.99 + tax $106.40 = 1,436.38

FWIW, I had a P12.45 for a while, it was a great shooter, a little thicker around the grip because of the double stack mag...no big deal though and I do not have large hands. Sold it to a buddy and he loved it too, he was a little guy. It was a little heavy for carry. Right after that I bought a Kimber Custom Carry, just traded it after 16 years (plus some cash) for a full size Super Carry Custom. Took it to the range this past Saturday and it was SWEEEEEET, no issues. Thank goodness, I have read some negative stuff about them, but my personal experience has been great.

Have had my p12 since 1996. Best magazines are 12 rd Mecgar magazines. Original factory mags work better with replacements springs from Wolff Springs. Para Ordnance now include them with their current production of guns.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.