The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Para-Ordnance P12-45 .45 ACP

42K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
I could be wrong ,but this seems like the ultimate concealed carry 45 , Ive read about it and I like what Ive read, does anybody have one of these? and can you tell me how it shoots and carries?

#2 ·
I don't own one, and have never shot one, but the reviews I've read on this gun are all favorable. The one thing I do want to point out is that this pistol has a double stack magazine, which will make it almost as heavy as a standard Colt 1911. It might be smaller, but the reason most folks want the smaller guns are all due to weight. They look for something smaller because they don't want 36-40oz hanging on their belt.

#3 ·
I dont know for certain, but I have read that para doesnt have much of a warrantee or cust service.

#4 ·
You heard right. And the finish wears pretty fast unless that's changed in the last 6 years. I've owned a few Para's over the years but never kept them for some reason.

My last one was a P-16 .40 built by my friend Ken Hallock. He installed a NM barrel and completely reworked pistol to compete in IPSC Limited Competition. A couple of months later, Para came out with a P-16 .40 Limited. Great pistol but not cheap and wouldn't shoot with my Hallock built P-16.

#5 ·
Never tried Para. The best CC 1911 I've found so far is the Kimber Pro Carry.

#7 ·
Honestly I would not even bother with a Para. Quality control is lousy, CS is lousy. Finding parts that fit is a real pain. Night sights are few and far between and I would be careful what you read about them. Reviews are often favorable bc they are paid to be favorable. The finish on them is really weak. The ones Ive seen all have edge wear all over the gun.

#8 · (Edited)
Well thats the main reason I come to this forum Helix , the reviews are usually favorable in mags , but on here they are not , theres no prejudice here (at least on weapons advice) ,and even if there is, theres a balance that you dont get from a mag review , I realize theres those that hate Kimbers or Smiths or whatever , but theres also the Pro's , so the balance usually gives you a fair understanding , thats why I go to gun forums!

#9 · (Edited)
Para's are fine...Never had a problem with the two or three Ive owned..

My favorite was the Carry 6 .45ACP. Has the look of a 3" 1911..all steel and with a bobbed hammer and a Glock type trigger..Sweet little gun for concealment but a bit hefty. It will also accept any size 1911 magazine, if you dont mind it sticking out the bottom of the mag well. Factory mags are flush fit and 6 round. Only objection is they are 'pinned', making cleaning and mag spring replacement a PITA.

I sold it when I got my SW .45ACP Pro Series 1911..

The Carry 6 was a bit rough on the recoil spring and I had to change mine about 4-500...I suppose thats pretty average for short barrel .45's though...

It was absolutely flawless in function until the recoil spring started to weaken. I replaced it with one from Brownells...the new spring was nearly a half inch longer than the old one...Slapped in the new spring and she was back back to shucking as normal.

Reactions: Guts3d
#12 ·
never heard much said about the para but guys i know with the Kimbers love the hell outta them. Reliable,shoots well and carry great. give em a look.

#13 ·
Redhawk...My SW Pro .45 is the "IT" gun for concealed carry....Ive always been a 1911 guy...carried a Colt commander for awhile along with various other sizes and makes of 1911 and other types of pistols/revolvers as well..Searching for the perfect carry gun...After I found the "Pro" my search was finally over...I was close with the Para Carry 6, but being all steel, it was a bit heavy...The SW has a scandium alloy frame and is very light to the point I hardly know Im carrying...about 26 oz....Recoil isnt that bad either. 7 in the mag + one in the chamber. Any 1911 magazine will work in it as well...if you dont mind a little protrusion from the mag well..

So far, I have maybe 200 rounds total of ball and 40 of Gold Dot 230 through it and it has been flawlessly right out of the box..Trigger is fine, no creep or scratchiness.....Using a range bag for rest, a pepper popper at 50 yards isnt a problem to hit everytime if I do my part...Ive honestly not shot it on bullseye paper, so I cant give you an absolute accuracy report, but on steel silhouettes at 7-25 yards its deadly..

Im a happy camper now...finally!!!:D

#14 ·
I've carried a P-12 45 for 8 years. Great weapon. Accurate, a little on the heavy side, but when you have a short barreled handgun with 12 rounds of .45 ACP, you are batting clean up! I carry in a Mitch Rosen Express Lite holster. Never had a malfunction with military ball or my anti-personnel rounds (Tactical HST, 230gr) by Federal. I have fed this pistol just about everything I can find in .45ACP and it just runs! As far as customer service/support; about 4 yrs after I got the pistol one of my mags wouldn't load more than 9 rounds. Called the folks in Pineville, NC, they said send in the mag, and I received a new one in about 5 days! In addition, I want to upgrade the sights and the Para folks said send them the slide and they would take care of the rest for the cost of the sights alone! I think that speaks pretty well of their customer service.

#15 · (Edited)
I've carried a P-12 45 for 8 years. Great weapon. Accurate, a little on the heavy side, but when you have a short barreled handgun with 12 rounds of .45 ACP, you are batting clean up! I carry in a Mitch Rosen Express Lite holster. Never had a malfunction with military ball or my anti-personnel rounds (Tactical HST, 230gr) by Federal. I have fed this pistol just about everything I can find in .45ACP and it just runs! As far as customer service/support; about 4 yrs after I got the pistol one of my mags wouldn't load more than 9 rounds. Called the folks in Pineville, NC, they said send in the mag, and I received a new one in about 5 days! In addition, I want to upgrade the sights and the Para folks said send them the slide and they would take care of the rest for the cost of the sights alone! I think that speaks pretty well of their customer service.
I totally agree.

I've owned a P12 since they were first made in the early 1990's, can't remember the exact year. I was working in a gun shop at the time and it was the first one I ever had my hands on.

It's has been my carry gun since that time. Never once did it ever fail, the finish is just fine and I have shot it a good bit. I can't really speak of their Customer Service since I haven't had a reason to find out. Besides I work on my own guns and wouldn't send it to them anyway.

Someone mentioned parts are scarce...I haven't found that to be true since most of it's parts are standard 1911 parts with a few exceptions such as the trigger, mags and grips. Wilson Combat still offers a lot of stuff for them. And speaking of Wilson, I highly recommend the Wilson Combat Full Length Guide Rod for the P12. HIGHLY recommend it. It makes a big difference.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Full-Length-Guide-Rod-Officers/productinfo/25CO/

And I have no idea what the one guy that reviewed the guide rod above is talking about when he says it sticks out of the front of the pistol, mine doesn't.

Here's a pic of mine, almost 20 years of carry and use.

It also has Wilson Combat ambi safety, extended slide release, stainless barrel bushing, extended mag release, rear sight, trigger, stainless hex head grip screws and a Hogue wrap around finger groove grip. And a few things I'm forgetting.

Wilson Combat stuff;
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Accessories/departments/13/

Hogue grip;
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/86353

Reactions: Guts3d
#43 · (Edited)
"And I have no idea what the one guy that reviewed the guide rod above is talking about when he says it sticks out of the front of the pistol, mine doesn't."
Nice upgrades, GunHugger!

Here's what the guy was talking about.
Full length spring guide through recoil spring cap.:
Auto part Metal

Full length spring guide inside:
Pen

I bought it new so long ago, I don't remember if it came this way or if I had it modified. It sure makes disassembly/assembly a bit tricky.

#16 ·
I totally agree.

I've owned a P12 since they were first made in the early 1990's, can't remember the exact year. I was working in a gun shop at the time and it was the first one I ever had my hands on.

It's has been my carry gun since that time. Never once did it ever fail, the finish is just fine and I have shot it a good bit. I can't really speak of their Customer Service since I haven't had a reason to find out. Besides I work on my own guns and wouldn't send it to them anyway.

Someone mentioned parts are scarce...I haven't found that to be true since most of it's parts are standard 1911 parts with a few exceptions such as the trigger, mags and grips. Wilson Combat still offers a lot of stuff for them. And speaking of Wilson, I highly recommend the Wilson Combat Full Length Guide Rod for the P12. HIGHLY recommend it. It makes a big difference.

And I have no idea what the one guy that reviewed the guide rod above is talking about when he says it sticks out of the front of the pistol, mine doesn't.

Here's a pic of mine, almost 20 years of carry and use.

It also has Wilson Combat ambi safety, extended slide release, stainless barrel bushing, extended mag release, rear sight, trigger, stainless hex head grip screws and a Hogue wrap around finger groove grip. And a few things I'm forgetting.

Wilson Combat stuff;
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Accessories/departments/13/

Hogue grip;
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/86353

#17 · (Edited)
A little late post and a new guy. 15 years carrying the P12. Most importantly it is durable and reliable. It is not meant to be a pretty range gun that all want to look at. The edges are rounded for comfortable carry many ways. I prefer Galco or custom holsters. I had the Kimber Ultra Carry etc. for one shoot. Pretty, yes. Durable, no way. Also I will take the additional rounds of 12 vs. 7. Many a bowling pin shoot did I win without reloading. The wider double stack grip requires a big hand. I once qualified a CC student that never shot before on the P12. He shot 290/300. I rarely do that. He had butcher's hands and they were strong. When one carries a 1911 he should want the design as close to Colt 1911 as possible. It is a proven war horse. Don't be fooled by skeleton hammers, fancy triggers, and ambidextrous safeties. Keep it simple and it will protect you. Remember Para broke the ice for high capacity 1911's. I give it a thumbs up.

#19 ·
P.S. Para P12 handles all ammo and out performs the competitors in accuracy and reliability. But it is not perfect.
"The Para out performs the competitors in accuracy and reliability" this is a large blanket type of statement that has little basis. Unless you have done some sort of documented study verses several of Paras competitors, I dont see how you came to this conclusion.

#20 ·
I have a full size Para GI "something or other" stainless. Was bundled with several 1911's that I purchased. After researching it, found it had terrible reviews was going to just trade it off and be done with it. Then I went out and shot it.

Preformed flawlessly, and by far the most accurate 1911 I own. Decided to keep it, they may be junk but I got a good one. About 500 rnds down the pipe and zero failures.

#21 ·
I have one that I bought in the 90's and I have never had it working correctly. It has been back to Para 3 times and it is now there and has been for 2 months. Seems they have replaced every part but it still will not go through a full mag with any rounds (reloads or factory) without a FTF, FTE or stovepipe. I know othere have them an they run great but not this one Yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm

#23 · (Edited)
I have one that I bought in the 90's and I have never had it working correctly. It has been back to Para 3 times and it is now there and has been for 2 months. Seems they have replaced every part but it still will not go through a full mag with any rounds (reloads or factory) without a FTF, FTE or stovepipe. I know othere have them an they run great but not this one Yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm
Use factory mags.

And add this;

And this;
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Barrel-Bushing-Officers-Stainless/productinfo/29CO/

#25 ·
Thats a good question shooter. I always take my factory mags and throw them in the safe and replace them with wilson combats. First thing I do.

#26 ·
GunHugger;1187848 Use factory mags. said:
Why would you suggest that ?
Why?

Because I have 3 off brands in a drawer that don't work worth a darn. All five factory mags work just fine, that's why.

Why did you ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.