Range results on the Maverick 88 12ga shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by G-Mann, Jan 9, 2017.

1. G-Mann

G-Mann Member

Bought me a Maverick 88 with a 18.5" barrel. Shooting Remington slugger foster type slugs. When aiming at the center of the target at 25yds, it was hitting 12" high from my aim! Is this typical for this gun with a cylinder choke barrel?

2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know nothing about shooting slugs in shotguns so this s an interesting question. I'll be watching for the answers. I'm thinking that it's probably not uncommon.

3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Shooting slugs out of a smoothbore shotgun does not always end up with the desirable results.
    That is why I used pistols instead of my shotguns, and now use rifles now that Ohio allows it.

4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just got a Benelli Nova with the 18 inch barrel and open choke. It shoots point of aim at 25 and 50 yards. I was shooting Remington managed recoil slugs. I would try some different ammo if I were you. It may make a difference.

grcsat and The_Rifleman like this.
  5. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

If your shooting a bead sight. It could be anything. I believe the maverick is using remington barrels IIRC. If your intenrions is slugs buy a rifled slug barrel and sight it in with front and rear sights. Or buy the remmy smooth bore slug barrel and do the same. The remmy smooth bore rear sight leaves A LOT to be desired. I have an ithaca deer slayer model 37 at 100yds with foster slugs and scoped the best I can manage is softball size groups. You can't expect laser shooting with a shotgun

6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Maverick shotgun is made by Mossberg. I would doubt they use a Remington barrel.

7. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Well-Known Member

Your right. My bad I mixed up the pardner and the maverick. The pardner is interchangable with the 870..

gvw3 likes this.