The Firearms Forum banner

RIA

6K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
Thinking of picking up a Rock Island, I called up one of my LGS and asked if they carry them. Said they carry them in the $460 range. Being as to how this would be my first 1911 I like to stick to the cheap end before I go paying an arm and a leg for one. Before anyone asks yes I'll make sure it's a .45 ACP.

Couple of questions though. Any issues y'all know about I should watch out for?

What's a GOOD source for grips? I want to find one with an ace of spades it. (in honor of our new president)

What kind of mags do you recommend? Would like to have a few extras (read want several for more shooting time/less reloading time)

Last one. Why have I not bought one sooner?

#4 ·
#6 ·
They are great especially for the price. I will definitely be buying more of them in the future. I use CMC mags in mine.

A couple of things - if new it will be drenched in oil. Follow their vid for cleaning it up before you do anything else. At the minimum you want to field strip the gun, remove the extractor and the grips and "wash" everything in mineral spirits or the like. After draining/drying that just lube and re-assemble. FWIW - after it's dry I like to spray the internals with a dry lube like Hornady's and I use Ballistol for all other lubing.

Some folks have reported that the springs are a little weak (mainspring, recoil & firing pin). I haven't found that to be the case and stayed with factory springs for the first 4k or so rounds.

#9 ·
I've got a RIA tactical I've had for about five or six years. I've never had one single hiccup since I took it out of the box and I used a lot of different ammo in it. All it gets now are home cast SWC's and a box of Tula steel cased every now and then. I tossed the ACT mag that came with it and use Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. Mine had the smooth wood grips and I bought a set of Cocobolo double diamonds off ebay and somebody gave me a set of wrap around Pachmayrs. I tried the Pach's but went back to the wood. The finish will look chalky when new or anytime you fully degrease it but once it soaks up some oil it will darken. A better 1911 for the money you will not find. She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance but she will rock your socks off.

#11 ·
Time to start working on the next life :eek::eek::eek:

#13 ·
I can tell you about two RIA 1911’s in 45ACP.

The son-in-law bought one and had trouble with the extractor (not enough tension). I fixed it for him and the gun runs very nicely now. It was an easy fix. He is happy with the gun and its accuracy.

I bought one for the frame but I had to buy the whole gun (live in CA and at the time I could not buy just a frame of any gun). My plan was to replace all the trigger parts with after market Match grade parts and use the newly modified receiver only for my Marvel Conversion Unit #1 (match grade 22 conversion unit for 1911’s). Every after market trigger part dropped in but the RIA safety would not function directly with the after market parts. I had to fit it. The new trigger is excellent and it makes the Marvel conversion unit work beautifully.

I took the remain slide parts and turned the slide into one equivalent to a 1950’s Bullseye 45ACP 1911. I fitted a new bushing, added a full length rib with Bomar sights, and a Group gripper to make the lockup tighter and repeatable. With this slide on the gun it shoots as good as any other 45ACP I own.

The bottom line is these are good inexpensive 1911’s. They work well out of the box and as the basis for a modified 1911.

LDBennett

#15 ·
#18 ·
I just now read this post. I don't visit as much as I should, but still working on grips.
RIA, if you are interested in some custom hand made grips, send me an email or a PM and we can discuss what ever you want. All my grips are hand made, no CNC machine. I can put anything on them that you want.

#19 ·
Thinking of picking up a Rock Island, I called up one of my LGS and asked if they carry them. Said they carry them in the $460 range. Being as to how this would be my first 1911 I like to stick to the cheap end before I go paying an arm and a leg for one. Before anyone asks yes I'll make sure it's a .45 ACP.

Couple of questions though. Any issues y'all know about I should watch out for?

What's a GOOD source for grips? I want to find one with an ace of spades it. (in honor of our new president)

What kind of mags do you recommend? Would like to have a few extras (read want several for more shooting time/less reloading time)

Last one. Why have I not bought one sooner?
I've got a RIA 45. GOOD basic gun. Yeah factory grips are basic.. but they are not the 1st thing I would upgrade. the magazine is the first upgrade I would make. Maybee THEN the grips..

#20 ·
Oh new mags are definitely a must!!!
I just now read this post. I don't visit as much as I should, but still working on grips.
RIA, if you are interested in some custom hand made grips, send me an email or a PM and we can discuss what ever you want. All my grips are hand made, no CNC machine. I can put anything on them that you want.
When I have the gun in my possession I Will definitely be talking to you about grips...

#23 ·
Slickguns is advertising a rock island for 370.00. I have 2 rock islands and would recommend them no problem. The one pictured is ultra dependable and has never failed or hickuped. The other is a 22tcm/9mm
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#32 ·
DD, welcome back. Your posts are a sight for sore eyes. Glad to see you back on line.

#34 ·
Nice to see yer still kickin DD.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.