Target Master AR15 22LR Conversion

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by tuckerd1, Nov 19, 2016.

1. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one last Sunday at a Gun Show in Decatur, AL. Target Master.jpg
    The young man that is President of the company was there demonstrating and selling them. We had a very long talk about them with me asking dozens of questions and he knowledgeably, politely and respectfully answering everything. It was a pleasure talking with him.

Now, I got it home and didn't shoot it until Thursday. Thursday I only did a function test. I installed it in my S&W M&P 15. It is super easy to install and can be converted from .223 to 22LR in less than 30 seconds.. After installation the instructions say to pull the charging handle and release it (without riding the handle back down) several times. I did that and put a little oil on the bolt rails.

I then did the function test. I was using Federal Auto Match ammo that they recommend and sell. They recommend using ammo with a velocity >1000 fps. And to stay away from the Remington Thunderbolts.

I was very disappointed. It would not fire a complete magazine without misfires. Anyway, I tried 2 different magazines, loaded several times, and was having more FTF's than rounds that did fire. Most of the FTF's would fire the second time around though.

So I called the company and the young man, company president, answered the phone. I explained what was happening and he said occasionally the kits do not mate well with a particular AR but he would make it right. He sent me a completely new kit that day. I received it the next day, Friday. WOW! That was fast! Enclosed was a prepaid return label for the original kit.

I got to test fire the new kit today. It fired flawlessly. Never missed a beat.

I don't know how you may feel about this. I expect things to work right straight out of the box. If it doesn't I'm very disappointed. BUT, if a company offers the customer service that Tactical Industries does, then I can give them a break and a second chance.

Based upon the Customer Service alone I would recommend them.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    slayer, texdon and crystalphoto like this.
  2. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Based on that report alone, I would give them shot. Thanks tuckerd1.

dbcooper likes this.

3. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

What do you figure was the cause of the FTF? Was the firing pin striking the rims hard enough, or not? I know cheap ammo will do that, but not with Federal ammo.

4. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

I did not take the firing pin out of the original kit because it is secured by a roll pin. But the original kit looked like the firing pin strikes were lighter than the new kit.

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Never heard of that company but I did have one a few years ago made by CMMG. It worked so well that I decided to go with a CMMG dedicated .22 LR upper, because I had heard that they were so much more accurate. It ain't true, the conversion kit was just as accurate as the dedicated upper.