The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
When the Titan has "Made in Italy" on it, It is a pre-'68 model. These were all imported by F.I.E. and were stamped, "Made in U.S.A." after the import restrictions were in place. Some have said the frames on the later pistols were cast here in the States, but it's my belief that they were cast in Italy, since they were imported as parts kits, assembled in Florida, and given the "Made in U.S.A." stamp. Mine was a post-'68 version with dark brown grips and blued frame, slide and barrel. By the way, this frame was a cast zinc pot-metal frame of very good workmanship, but of very low durability. Sadly, after roughly 1000 rounds, the frame broke through the rear barrel retaining pin hole, the thumb safety hole, the trigger pivot pin hole, and into the trigger loop. The pot metal is just unable to stand up to the repeated impact of the slide returning to battery. No matter, as I'm now in the process of building her a new frame of 7075-T6 aluminum. I've also read that all Titan frames are steel - WRONG!! There may have been SOME steel frames in the earlier models, but I have NEVER seen one, either early or late. I have only seen pot metal - some "blued" and some nickel plated.
Is pot-metal magnetic? If not then mine is steel framed.

So called "pot metal" is a mix of NON-ferrous metals and will not be magnetic. The term "pot metal" is often overused in reference to non-ferrous alloys, some of which can and are quite strong with respect to tensile and torsion strengths. The main metal in a "pot metal" alloy is usually Zinc with various proportions of Aluminum and trace amounts of Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, Tin, Lead, Cobalt, etc. depending upon the intended ultimate use and purpose of the alloy.

I have an old Titan 25 that I have had since 1969. I have only fired it a few times but it performed well. My issue is that I can't determine how to break it down for cleaning. Is there any source for obtaining break down and cleaning instructions for this piece?
Think I remember how.The basic design is the same as the Astra Firecat.Make sure the gun is empty,and the magazine is removed.Draw the slide back,and on the left side engage the small holdopen/safetycatch with the notch in the frame.Grasp the barrel and give a turn to your right about a 1/2 rotation.Slide the barrel out of the slide.Hold the back of the slide,release the catch,and slide it forward and off the frame.Watch out for the recoil spring and guide under the barrel,they are stronger than they look!Re-assemble in reverse order.

A) Welcome to the Forum!

B) I am not sure what you mean by "IF EVERYONE IS SHUT DOWN", so I may not be able to answer your question.

C) I doubt anyone makes parts for the Titan any more, but so many were sold I would guess plenty of parts are available.

D) Have you tried Numrich? We are discouraged from posting URLs here, but if you Google up Numrich gun parts you should find them right away.

HTH!

Hello, I am a new guy here and I'm trying to find out about the titan my dad has had for years. He has had it for as long as I can remember and I'm 48. It is a Made in Italy with an "A72xxx serial number. It also has XXIII on the right side of handle and <TITAN> cal.25 on right side of barrel. I am needing some grips/handles for it and wonder if anyone can lead me to some. Thanks and enjoying the forum. Andy

Just thought I would throw in my two cents. I am a burgeoning collector and never can seem to avoid making a purchase on a cheap pistol that I have not heard of so when I came across the little Titan 25 (made in Italy) with the really cool picture of the tiger on it I decided what's fifty bucks? (my wife would adamantly disagree). Now those of you familiar with what used to be referred to as "Saturday Night Specials" are very familiar with the Lorcin company. I have a nickel plated Lorcin .25 that is in immaculate condition would be lucky to have had fifty rounds down the barrel. Now my Titan in comparison is very far from a "pretty gun" it has the wear and tear of years and to be honest I don't think it was that pretty new, at any rate I decided to load up these two .25 autos and head to the range. I am ex-military and am a pretty decent shot not great but pretty damn good. I set the target out at a reasonable 25 feet and to my astonishment I couldn't hit a damn thing with that shiny little Lorcin. with that being said I didn't have high expectations for the loved but worn Titan but let me tell you what folks that little Titan shot circles around that Lorcin. My groups were in the twelve to fifteen inch range at 25 feet but that is a body shot all day. some of my shots fired from the Lorcin missed the target completely. So
at the end of this long winded thread the message is don't judge a book by its cover or pretty nickel plating and if you are at a gun show and find a Titan FIE for fifty or sixty bucks snatch it up. You will have fun and it actually will fit well enough in your watch pocket to stay secure, and oh yeah I almost forget I ran forty rounds of cheap aluminum Blazer ammo through that little gun and did not have one FTF or FTE. I couldn't say that for the Lorcin. In fact no offense to Lorcin fans but I think I would be terrified to shoot one larger than .25 auto.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.