The Firearms Forum banner

Top 3 9mm pistols?

5K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  jwdurf 
#1 ·
Just getting some ideas for future purchase.

Soon as the FOID gets here, I've prepaid on a EAA SAR K2P 9mm. The reviews show this gun to be very under rated.

Reactions: Kurmudgeon
#6 ·
Green Lantern, opinions are plentiful and the law of supply and demand does apply. However, since you asked we sort of need a little criteria such as purpose.

If you are looking for a concealed or even an open carry weapon then the Sig P938 is a serious contender. I have held but not been able to shoot the Kimber Micro 9 but first impression was good so for a carry weapon I think it deserves a look. Before anyone flames me, I am referring to the Colt Mustang clone, NOT the Kimber Solo 9.

If target shooting is your vice I must second the CZ nomination and I will go a little more specific, the Magnum Research Baby Eagle (sans Jericho) and to be very specific the BE99W model steel frame and full size (I don't know if the Jericho is a CZ clone or vice versa, I am sure someone will tell both of us soon enough).

You simply can't go wrong with a Beretta 92 either.

As you will soon learn there are some very brand loyal types on this forum and fortunately - I am not one of them so you can trust my opinions. However, you should know my gun safe is really a condo for Italian and Israeli immigrants; I openly award citizenship no questions asked to all guns from those countries so if you have one that needs a refuge please let me know I will PM my shipping address.

Best advise for a gun purchase is to remember (1) stick to brands with good reputations until you are ready to venture into the realm of the unusual or unproven; (2) a gun that fits your hand is superior to one that does not regardless of brand; and (3) handguns come in three flavors (revolvers, 1911s, and strikers). You should try to handle and shoot all three and find out first if you have a preference. Revolver vs. 1911 style vs. striker fired is NOT a Chevy vs. Ford debate it is more like SUV vs. Sedan vs. Minivan. You find that you have a strong affinity for one over the other so I would suggest that as your start point on the decision tree of what are the top 3 9MM on the market since the number one, no bull, absolute best 9MM is the one you like and feel as though it likes you back.

#7 ·
A lot depends on what you will use them for. I carry my Smith & Wesson Shield. Easy to conceal and still a good shooter.

I really like my Beretta 92. Nice full sized handgun and a joy to shoot.

I have other 9mm handguns but I would look at one of the new 1911 9mm. I don't own one but want to soon. I am looking at the Ruger and Colt models.

#12 ·
Mine are going to be a bit "off the grid" but you must keep in mind how ate up I am with old stuff......and that 9mm Parabellum is not among my favorite handgun cartridges.....:D

Walther P-38
Luger
S&W Mod. 39

#13 ·
Go to several gun stores and handle as many as you can. Find out what fits your hands well, set the others aside. Then compare size, weight and functionality to find what you like best. Keep in mind what you want to do with it. Small guns conceal better but kick harder and can be tougher to hit your target with. Larger guns have less recoil and can be easier to aim with but are harder to conceal and are heavier making them less comfortable to carry. Revolvers and semiautos have their own upsides and downsides. Choose the one you like that fits the best in your hands. Go shoot at least a hundred rounds through that one to see if you don't change your mind about a few things before getting another. That's my advice but there are as many opinions about that as there are people.

#16 ·
Thanks guys.
First of all I looked for hand fit when I chose the CZ 75 clone, the EAA SAR K2P. Made in Turkey for NATO. Reviews are great. I don't know how the "only made in 2013" will have an effect on value or parts, but it fit my hand perfectly. I tried a Rugar SR9 and it wasn't quite right but the guy flipped the backstrap over and wow. The hump in the backstrap gave the perfect fit. Recoil is my next concern. The SAR K2P has lower something number that reduces recoil. Control of gun is important. Target practice mostly, not planning on concealed carry. Seems like those guns would be harder to control with their smaller handles.

#25 ·
GL:
I think you may be holding back - I can't tell you the number of people who buy a gun based on appearance or name or price with no consideration of ergonomics and fit.

As stated above, do not worry about the recoil on a 9mm, there is a reason this is a very popular round. Also, "felt recoil" which is the only one that matters is subjective. The bullet weight and powder, as well as the weight of the gun and the springs in the slide will affect the actual rearward force exerted. The size of your hands, your grip, and the way the gun fits your hand affect what you actually feel. Since it is a concern, stick with standard 115grain rounds for the first trip or two to the range.

#20 ·
My top three would be any variation of the CZ75, with the SP-01 at the top.

Reactions: rcairflr
#27 ·
What Kody and Plano said. Go to a range that has retail sales with large inventory and a rental program
Then do zactly what they sed. If it's for carry it MUST be concealable and functional. In addition it MUST feel good ergonomically AND you need to be able to afford lots of ammo for practice. On a carry gun, sights are not important, you will NEVER be aiming in a close quarter SD, life and death encounter.
If for practice and plinking then everything except concealable and the sights remain as they and I posted.
As for ergonomics, or what feels best, the instant the right one hits YUR hand you WILL know it and DO NOT let the sales person effect any part of YUR decision.
Do YUR own research on makes, models and calibers. Then go and seek them out for fit and shooting at the rental counter.
Of course this is only an old mans opinion. But I own and shoot ALL the models recommended here except the Beretta, I don't need a boat anchor so I gave those two away.
Every single handgun feels different to each and every person, but they will tell you which ONE fits them the best.

UF
I carry a lot wt commander that has very near half a million rounds thru it still works like a new Breitling.

#30 ·
Please consider the following:
While I own several 9mm auto loaders, I just recently acquired a CZ 75-BD. I was attracted to it because it is an all steel gun, it is reasonably priced, and it has a good reputation.

Initially, I was not impressed with the trigger when dry firing in single action, as it has a good deal more creep than my other pistols. However, using low cost, factory, 115 gr ammo from PPU and Magtech, I was able to achieve three inch groups from a sandbag rest, and five inch groups off-hand, at 25 yards. That includes results from a set of five double taps.

No FFTs or other problems. I will probably to a trigger job to obtain a more crisp, 3-4 lb pull, but I already love this gun. FYI, I also have a Sig P229, a Beretta 92 FS, a Springfield Target 1911, and a Springfield XD - Tactical. I'd rank them as follows: 1. Springfield 1911 2. Sig P229 3. Beretta 92 4. The XD I use the 1911 and the XD for action pistol competition. All y suitable for self defense.

#32 ·
Green Lantern, the EAA "Sar" is a Turkish made gun, ("Sarsilmaz"), and is I believe a clone of the CZ-75. I don't own a Sar, but I do have a "Canik" which is also Turkish, and is a CZ-75 clone made under license, to CZ I can surely vouch for the Canik, excellent shooter, great accuracy, reliable, not fussy about ammo/bullet weight/velocity, it handles my mild 9MM handloads, (+ or - 875 FPS MV), and right now is probably my most accurate 9MM. I recently bought a Springfield XD-M in 9MM, and I think these two will have a fistfight to see which is the more accurate.
As to what I (Concealed) carry, every day, it's an old Charter Arms .38 Spl. Undercover revolver, my opinion is that a "wheel" gun can't be beat for simplicity, reliability and efficiency. (Does the fact that I'm 80 years old, show?)
For the third choice, well, that depends entirely on you, what you are the most comfortable with, shoot the best with, can access and deploy in a hurry, and will get any self-defense job done. Hundreds of handguns will fill that bill, but not for every shooter. Ideally, I recommend trying out a gun, thoroughly, if possible, BEFORE you lay your hard-earned down. It's a real bummer to buy a nice looking gun, and find down the road that it sucks for what you want to use it for! (Maybe that's why there are so many used handguns for sale, ya think?)
As to the "SAR", I'd be surprised to find you didn't like it, my Canik will have a good home, as long as I'm still around!
Cheers,
Fred (Honcho)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.