Type 1 or 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysacres, May 3, 2016.

1. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Mr. Carver, "Congratulations!" on BS and your losing weight! Again, very "Sorry" about reason for it.
    I wish you "Good Luck!"on hitting that 175 goal!
    I know losing weight and keeping my BS lower as seriously helped our budget, co-pays on insulin has gotten way out of hand!
    I was sticking same weight for several months, except last couple months gained 2 lbs from eating out more. Mama says my body had adjusted to my intake and need change it up some. So hoping get back to strict diet after this slip up will get that 2 and hopefully more pounds off!
    "Good Luck!"

ysacres, One Shot and carver like this.
  2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Actually, this all began about 6, or 8 months ago. I just decided that I wanted to get a real handle on my diabetes, and weight. Yesterday for breakfast I had some shredded wheat, and half a banana. For lunch I had the other half of the banana, and supper was a grilled chicken breast, and a large salad. BS this morning was 80. Sometimes I'll do grilled pork, or fish, and sometimes it's just a simple hamburger patty or two. But the salad stays on the menu. Sometimes I chop up the meat, and add it to the salad, sometimes I just eat it on the side. When it's just the salad, I can get real creative!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    BlueDragonLair, ysacres and One Shot like this.

3. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    Wazzu WA
    Shrimp salad, pasta salad, taco salad, rhubarb salad, jello salad, bean salad, even chicken noodle soup salad, and many more in my mothers cook book.

Chicken noodle soup salad
    1 (3oz ) package lemon jello 2 Tablespoons chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup boiling water 1 can chicken noodle soup.
    1/2 cup chopped onion. 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup chopped celery 1 can tuna fish
    1/2 cup whipped cream

Dissolve jello in water and let cool. Add rest of ingredients and refrigerate.

YUK, I hated this one :eek:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    carver and BlueDragonLair like this.
  4. stonesfan99

stonesfan99 Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Age 29 here and my doc told me I'm right on the edge of pre-diabetes. Trying a diet has helped me quite a bit, but it's tough to maintain that diet.

5. BlueDragonLair

Jun 18, 2013
    First enjoy your youth! Enjoy your health! "Sorry" to sound redundant: but enjoy your 29 years of no problems with diabetes! I sure wish I'd had 29 years beforehand.

Diabetes is just a part of life once you start.
    Just adapt and live with it and be on top of Blood Sugar, diet, exercise and regular healthcare.
    Often with numbers they use to diagnose pre-diabetes you may never become full diabetic. Your diet, exercise and daily routine may be all you ever have to manage.
    Just being nosy and none of my business, I'm mostly curious if they did a A1C yet? Just curious since I was grow by time they started having this type lab test.
    Don't let pre-diabetes or even if you develop diabetes scare or limited your goals in life. Just adapt and overcome this new bump/challenge that's came into your life!
    With all advances in medical community the hazards/problems with diabetes are much more manageable now-a-days than when I was a kid. Just remember besides Blood Sugar, be mindful of letting all your healthcare team know of your diagnosis, ex: your regular doctor knows but be sure your eye, foot, renal team is aware, too. You may notice later more tests being done which is usual.
    "Good Luck!"

ysacres and carver like this.
  6. carver

No matter how though it gets, it's something we must choose to do. Like not killing the jerk that hit your car. It's a choice.

ysacres and BlueDragonLair like this.
  7. carver

I back up from anything that has carbohydrates, or starch. I will eat very small portions of whole wheat pasta, small portions of starches like potatoes, brown rice, and corn. Very small! I try to make the largest portions on my plate either proteins, or vegetables. Think about eating what the Native Americans ate. They did not run down to the nearest corner grocery, or fast food place. They gathered, and they hunted. Which part of their diet do you think was the largest, the meat, or what they gathered from the earth?

ysacres and BlueDragonLair like this.
  8. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    Wazzu WA
    Here's another question.
    Anyone have or had a pet with diabetes ?
    I think that would be terrible, giving a dog a shot per day, sooner or later the animal wont like you much.

9. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

I had a horse that needed a penicillin shot everyday for a week. After about 4 days he would poke at me with his front hooves when i walked up to him.

carver, BlueDragonLair and ysacres like this.
  10. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a Longhaired Dachshund that got into some dark chocolate and almost died, the vet gave him an insulin shot and saved his life.

carver, BlueDragonLair and ysacres like this.
  11. BlueDragonLair

Jun 18, 2013
    We had a Doberman years ago, she was a great lady that was just a wiggle and twist snuggle buddy with me. She greet me when get home from work at front door for me to sit in floor. She was a bit over 100lbs and she sit in front of me and lean til fall back against my chest. She curl up like a baby to get her belly rubbed and I'd rock her while singing and telling her what a little baby she was. After while she want lay down in floor with her head on my arm and I'd talk/sing her to sleep before I'd go go bed.
    She would get awful allergies in spring and again in late fall from grass. Back then you pick meds up at local vet or vet supply store and give own meds. She get to itching we give her a shot. Talk about being a baby, have give her a cone or vanilla ice cream to soothe the terrible pain of getting a injection. She act like hurt and sore til forget about shot.
    Long winded to say she also fully trained in personal protection. Only way anyone would work her was with full suit. Most our pups a sleeve was all needed for working/practice but she go after any unpadded area she find.
    Mama always used her hands to yell/argue at me. My little girl would sit against her legs and lean til she push her away. A few times Mama get close to me with finger laying off what I was in trouble about and my little girl would take her my hand and walk her out room or down to floor.

Copy2.png
    She always had cute pups, too:
    Copy5.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    carver likes this.
  12. carver

I have a Chihuahua/Terrier mix, rescue dog, that has diabetes. She gets two shots of Vetsulin every day, 4.75 units. Now that's not the same measurement that humans get. And Vetsulin is not the same thing that humans get with insulin. Vetsulin is specific to dogs, and cats, and can not be used for humans. Human insulin can not be used for dogs, and cats. The needles are different in that they are longer than human needles, and the tubes are different in size, as well as markings. She is also on prescribed dry food, as well as prescribed canned food. I get up every morning at 6AM, take her food, and Vetsulin out to reach room temp. At 7AM she gets her blood sugar tested, and then a shot of Vetsulin. She gets real happy about the time I'm thru with the shot, because she knows that it's now time to eat. The test strips, the meter, and the Vetsulin, along with the needles, all have to be bought on line. No vet offices sell any of that, but the food can be bought locally. Test strips are $60 for 50. Vetsulin is $65 per bottle, and it costs $30 to ship it in a cold pack. Obviously, I get 25 days from the test strips, if I don't screw up one. And the Vetsulin, at the dose I'm giving, lasts about a month. The food is expensive also, a bag of dried dog food is $30 for 15 pounds, and the canned is about $30 for 12 cans, including tax. Lilly don't like the blood sugar tests, nor does she like the Vetsulin shots. Sometimes they hurt her. But she is willing to get in my lap, and go thru the process, so she can eat. I always start each secession off with a lot of loving, and petting. When I'm thru with the needles, she gets real excited, and starts jumping out of, my lap, down to the floor, and back, and forth, just as fast as she can.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    BlueDragonLair likes this.
  13. BIGSPENDER101

BIGSPENDER101 New Member

Oct 29, 2016
    I am 44 and had a minor stroke 3 months ago, went to urgent care and found out I am a diabetic (type 2) I guess that is what happens when you do all the things you are not suppose to do and not see a doctor for 30 years. This was a eye opener for me. I quit smoking, soda pop, alcohol, sugar and started to eat better. I was addicted to guns and ammo before, but now it has gotten worse. I bought 19 guns already this year and am starting to get into reloading.... it is great to be alive!

14. BIGSPENDER101

BIGSPENDER101 New Member

Oct 29, 2016
    My doctor set my goal at 6.5. A month ago she told me she wants it at 5 or less, nothing is ever good enough.

15. ShootistPRS

ShootistPRS Well-Known Member

I am not diabetic. I am hypoglycemic which is just the opposite. I have been all my life. I could at any time I choose eat and drink the wrong thing and go into insuline shock within a half hour.
    No, not everyone is diabetic.

carver likes this.